Introducing our irresistible vegan sun-dried tomato pesto—a burst of flavors in every bite. With its rich and vibrant profile, this pesto is a delightful twist on the classic recipe. Created with carefully selected ingredients and easy preparation, it’s the perfect companion for enhancing your dishes. Get ready to experience a taste sensation like no other with our sun-dried tomato pesto recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
The key to creating our mouthwatering sun-dried tomato pesto lies in the carefully chosen ingredients. The star of the show is, of course, sun-dried tomatoes, packed with intense flavor and a delightful chewy texture.
You’ll also need roasted almonds, adding a satisfying crunch to the pesto. Alternatively, pine nuts would also work really well in this recipe.
To achieve a luscious consistency, we recommend using the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes, which not only enhances the taste but also ensures a velvety finish.
For a hint of cheesiness, nutritional yeast is the perfect addition, providing that umami richness reminiscent of traditional Parmesan.
While fresh basil brings a burst of freshness, it’s optional, so feel free to omit it or substitute with other herbs like parsley or cilantro.
Lastly, a couple of cloves of garlic, salt, and pepper add that irresistible savory kick. If needed, don’t hesitate to make any ingredient substitutions to suit your preferences or dietary needs.
- Food processor: Choose a reliable model with a sharp blade and a strong motor for efficient blending.
- Spatula: Use a good quality spatula to scrape down the sides of the food processor and gather every last bit of pesto.
- Mortar and pestle: If you prefer a chunkier texture, a mortar and pestle can be a great alternative for manually crushing and combining the ingredients.
- Sturdy jar or airtight container: Use a jar or container to store the pesto, keeping it fresh in the fridge for future use.
How to Make Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
Begin by adding the sun-dried tomatoes, roasted almonds, nutritional yeast (or vegan parm), garlic, salt, and pepper into a food processor. Ensure that the ingredients are well combined and then blend them until a thick but smooth paste forms.
To enhance the flavors further, add in the optional fresh basil and continue blending until everything is well incorporated. If the pesto seems too thick, you can gradually add more olive oil from the sun-dried tomatoes, blending as you go, until you achieve the desired consistency.
Once the pesto is smooth and velvety, it is ready to be savored immediately or preserved for later use. For storage, transfer it to a jar and top it with a drizzle of olive oil to maintain its freshness in the refrigerator. With these simple steps, you can effortlessly create a delightful sun-dried tomato pesto that will elevate your dishes with its vibrant flavors.
Tips & Tricks
- Soak the sun-dried tomatoes: If your sun-dried tomatoes are particularly dry or tough, consider soaking them in hot water for about 10 minutes before using. This will help soften them and make them easier to blend into a smooth paste.
- Adjust the oil quantity: The amount of oil from the sun-dried tomatoes can vary, so start with a smaller quantity and gradually add more as needed. Aim for a thick but spreadable consistency, adjusting the oil to achieve the desired texture.
- Customize the flavors: Feel free to get creative and customize the flavors of your pesto. You can add a touch of lemon zest for a citrusy twist, a pinch of red pepper flakes for a spicy kick, or experiment with different herbs like rosemary or thyme for added depth of flavor.
- Toast the almonds: For an extra depth of flavor, consider toasting the almonds before adding them to the food processor. Simply place them in a dry skillet over medium heat and toast until golden and fragrant. Let them cool before blending.
- Storage and serving: If you’re not serving the pesto immediately, transfer it to a jar or airtight container and drizzle a thin layer of olive oil on top. This will help preserve its freshness and vibrant color. When ready to serve, simply give it a quick stir and enjoy!
- Versatile uses: Sun-dried tomato pesto is incredibly versatile. Spread it on sandwiches, mix it into pasta, use it as a dip for veggies or bread, or even incorporate it into salad dressings. The possibilities are endless!
FAQ: Vegan Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
While fresh basil adds a vibrant flavor to the pesto, you can use dried basil as a substitute. Keep in mind that dried basil is more potent, so start with a smaller quantity and adjust to taste.
Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, the pesto can typically be kept for up to one week. Make sure to drizzle a thin layer of olive oil on top to maintain its freshness.
Yes, you can freeze the sun-dried tomato pesto for longer storage. Transfer it to an airtight container or ice cube trays and freeze for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator before using.
Absolutely! While roasted almonds provide a delightful crunch, you can experiment with other nuts such as pine nuts, walnuts, or cashews to create your desired flavor and texture.
Unfortunately, this recipe contains nuts. However, you can explore nut-free alternatives by substituting the almonds with toasted seeds like sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
Yes, you can adjust the spiciness by adding or reducing the amount of garlic and red pepper flakes. Start with a small quantity, taste, and gradually adjust to your preference.
If you have sun-dried tomatoes that are not packed in oil, you can rehydrate them by soaking them in hot water for about 10 minutes. Drain them well before using in the recipe.
Vegan Sun-dried Tomato Pesto 10 Minute Recipe
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- ½ cup roasted almonds
- ¼-½ cup oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (or vegan parm)
- ¼ cup fresh basil (optional)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, roasted almonds, nooch, garlic, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup of olive oil into a food processor. Blend until you get a thick but smooth paste.
- Add in the fresh basil, and more olive oil if needed. Blend until combined.
- Serve immediately, or place in a jar and top with a little olive oil to keep it fresh in the fridge. Buon Appetito!
This sun-dried tomato pesto recipe offers a wonderful vegan twist on a classic favorite. With its robust flavors and delightful combination of ingredients, this pesto is sure to impress. Whether you spread it on sandwiches, toss it with pasta, or use it as a dip, this versatile condiment adds a burst of taste to any dish. With simple steps and the option for ingredient substitutions, you can easily customize the pesto to suit your preferences. Prepare a batch today and enjoy the incredible taste that awaits you. Buon Appetito!