Flavorful Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas. These vegan quesadillas are packed with bold, buffalo flavor and the perfect amount of spice. Filled with protein-rich chickpeas and vegan cheese, they make a satisfying and delicious lunch or snack. Perfectly crispy on the outside and melty on the inside, these quesadillas will have you coming back for more!
Ingredients & Substitutions: What Is In A Vegan Chickpea Buffalo Quesadilla
One of the key ingredients in vegan buffalo chickpea quesadillas is a can of rinsed and drained chickpeas. Chickpeas are a type of legume that is packed with nutrients, including protein, fiber, and iron. By using chickpeas as the base of the filling, you can create a healthy and filling meal that’s perfect for vegetarians and vegans alike.
To make the filling for the vegan buffalo chickpea quesadillas, you’ll need to mix the following:
These versatile legumes are not only packed with protein, fiber, and iron, but they also add a delightful texture and nutty flavor to the vegan buffalo chickpea quesadillas. Be sure to use canned chickpeas in this recipe if you want to make it in under 12 minutes. Mash them well to ensure they stick to the inside of the flour tortilla.
With its tangy and spicy flavors, buffalo sauce is a perfect addition to the filling of the vegan buffalo chickpea quesadillas. Made with hot sauce, vinegar, and seasonings, it adds a burst of flavor to the dish. Frank’s buffalo sauce is recommended for this recipe as it is fully vegan. Some buffalo sauces contain dairy or milk products. Always check the ingredients list to make sure the hot sauce is dairy-free.
Creamy and tangy, vegan ranch is the perfect substitute for traditional ranch dressing. Made with non-dairy milk, vegan mayo, and spices, it’s a tasty addition to the vegan buffalo chickpea quesadillas.
With its fresh crunch and vibrant color, lettuce adds a refreshing element to the vegan buffalo chickpea quesadillas. It’s also a great source of vitamins and minerals like vitamin K and folate.
This often-overlooked vegetable adds a subtle sweetness and satisfying crunch to the vegan buffalo chickpea quesadillas. Rich in fiber, it also promotes digestive health.
This beautiful and flavorful vegetable is a great addition to the vegan buffalo chickpea quesadillas. It adds a pop of color and sweetness, while also providing health benefits like antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Vegan feta cheese:
Creamy and tangy, vegan feta cheese adds a savory depth of flavor to the vegan buffalo chickpea quesadillas. Made with plant-based ingredients like tofu or nuts, it’s a healthier alternative to traditional feta cheese.
A staple in Mexican cuisine, tortillas are a perfect vessel for the vegan buffalo chickpea quesadillas. With their soft yet crispy texture, they add a satisfying element to the dish while also being a good source of carbohydrates. I use whole-grain flour tortillas for added fiber and protein. Flour tortillas, spinach, or even tomato-flavoured tortillas can be used instead.
When making vegan buffalo chickpea quesadillas, having the right tools on hand can make the process much easier and more efficient. Here are a few helpful tools to consider:
- Mixing bowl: A medium-sized mixing bowl is essential for combining the chickpeas, buffalo sauce, and vegan ranch to make the filling for the quesadillas.
- Fork or masher: A fork or masher is useful for mashing the chickpeas to your desired consistency. This tool helps to create a spreadable filling that holds together well in the quesadillas.
- Cutting board and knife: A cutting board and sharp knife are needed to dice the celery and red onion for the filling.
- Frying pan or griddle: A frying pan or griddle is necessary for cooking the quesadillas. A non-stick pan or griddle can make cooking easier and prevent the tortillas from sticking.
- Spatula: A spatula is essential for flipping the quesadillas as they cook, ensuring that both sides are crispy and golden brown.
How To Make This Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas Recipe
Preparing the filling for the vegan buffalo chickpea quesadillas is quick and easy. Start by adding the rinsed and drained chickpeas, buffalo sauce, and vegan ranch into a medium mixing bowl. Using a fork or masher, mash the chickpeas until you reach your desired consistency. Leaving a few chickpeas whole or halved will add texture to the filling.
Add olive oil, chickpeas, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika to a pan on medium heat. Toast the chickpeas for 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Add nutritional yeast, and Frank’s buffalo sauce. Stir to combine for 1 minute.
Remove pan from heat, and add the chickpea mixture into a large bowl to mash. I mash mine right in the pan, but be careful not to scratch it.
Cover half of each tortilla with vegan cheese, and the chickpea mixture. Fold the tortilla in half to close.
Cook quesadillas in a non-stick pan for 2-3 minutes per side.
Cut in half, serve with vegan ranch, and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks For This Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas Recipe
- Use canned chickpeas for convenience. But make sure to rinse and drain them well before using.
- Adjust the amount of buffalo sauce and ranch to your taste preferences. You can add more or less depending on how spicy or tangy you want your quesadillas to be.
- If you don’t have vegan feta cheese, you can substitute it with other vegan cheese or skip it altogether.
- For a crispier tortilla. Lightly brush each side with oil before cooking.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free tortillas.
- If you prefer a smoother consistency for the chickpea mixture, use a food processor or blender instead of mashing by hand.
- You can use any type of vegan cheese you prefer. But make sure to cover only half of the tortilla to allow for easier folding
FAQ: Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas
For a traditional Mexican meal, try serving these quesadillas with refried pinto or black beans and cilantro lime rice. For a fun and unique side, try a fresh guacamole or grilled Mexican street corn (elotes). A simple side salad is also a great addition, to add some freshness and balance out the heat from the buffalo sauce.
If you don’t have a vegan ranch. This recipe is perfect served with a side of guacamole. It can also be served with straight-up Frank’s buffalo sauce if you can handle the heat.
Absolutely! These vegan quesadillas can be made gluten free. Look for gluten free tortillas in the health section of your grocery store. Corn tortillas can also be used to make mini gluten-free quesadillas.
The level of spiciness depends on the amount of buffalo sauce you use. You can adjust the spiciness by adding more or less buffalo sauce.
Easy Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas
- Add olive oil, chickpeas, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika to a pan on medium heat. Toast the chickpeas for 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Add nutritional yeast, and Frank's buffalo sauce. Stir to combine for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat, and add the chickpea mixture into a large bowl to mash. I mash mine right in the pan, but be careful not to scratch it.
- Cover half of each tortilla with vegan cheese, and the chickpea mixture. Fold the tortilla in half to close.
- Cook quesadillas in a non-stick pan for 2-3 minutes per side. Cut in half, serve with vegan ranch, and enjoy!
In conclusion, Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas are a delicious, easy, and healthy meal option. They are perfect for a quick vegan lunch or snack and are packed with protein and fiber. The recipe is versatile and can be made in less than 12 minutes with canned chickpeas, flour tortillas, and vegan buffalo sauce. The combination of flavors and textures makes these quesadillas a hit for vegans and non-vegans alike. It’s a perfect way to add some variety to your meals and enjoy a delicious, spicy, and hearty dish. Remember to always check the ingredients list when looking for buffalo sauce to ensure it’s dairy-free.