Elevate Your Plant-Based Dishes with This Delicious Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe. Are you looking for a dairy-free alternative to feta cheese? Look no further! Our dairy-free feta recipe is tangy, and salty, and has the perfect crumbly texture.
Perfect for Greek salads, vegan pasta bakes, or any recipe that calls for salty cheese. Give your meals an extra boost of flavor with this easy-to-make feta cheese. If you’re interested in more homemade plant-based cheese recipes, feel free to explore my complete vegan cheese recipe collection here.
Ingredients & Substitutions For This Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe
The vegan feta cheese recipe calls for a combination of plant-based ingredients that come together to create a delicious and tangy dairy-free cheese. Here are the main ingredients that you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Firm Tofu: The base of this recipe is firm tofu, which provides a creamy texture and a neutral flavor that can be easily transformed with the addition of herbs and spices.
- Water: Water is added to the recipe to help the agar agar flakes dissolve and set properly.
- Refined Coconut Oil: This ingredient adds richness and creaminess to the cheese, as well as a subtle coconut flavor.
- Agar Agar Flakes (or Powder): Agar agar is a vegan alternative to gelatin and is used to help the cheese set and firm up.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice adds a tangy and bright flavor to the cheese, and helps to balance out the richness of the coconut oil.
- Olive Oil: A small amount of olive oil is added for flavor and richness.
- Salt: Salt is essential for flavor and helps to bring out the other flavors in the cheese.
- Onion Powder and Garlic Powder: These two spices add depth of flavor and a savory note to the cheese.
- White Vinegar: A small amount of white vinegar adds a tangy flavor that is reminiscent of traditional feta cheese.
Once the vegan feta cheese is made, it can be served as is, or topped with a variety of herbs and spices to add even more flavor. Some popular options include Italian spice blend, Greek seasoning blend, or za’atar.
What is agar agar powder?
Agar agar powder is a vegan substitute for gelatin, derived from marine red algae. It comes in the form of flakes or powder and is a great thickener. It is the key ingredient in this dairy free feta recipe, and it’s important to note that agar agar flakes are less potent than agar agar powder
Is regular or cold-pressed coconut oil okay for the vegan feta?
When making this vegan feta recipe, it is important to use refined coconut oil rather than cold-pressed coconut oil. Refined coconut oil is specifically chosen for this recipe as it will not impart any coconut flavor to the cheese and has the ideal consistency for making vegan cheese. Additionally, it’s essential to note that one tablespoon of agar flakes can be substituted with 1 tsp of agar powder. This ingredient can be found at most health food stores or easily ordered online on Amazon.
- High-powered blender
- Heat-safe dish
How to Make This Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe
- Begin by draining all the water from the tofu and adding it to a high-powered blender along with garlic and onion powder, lemon juice, salt, olive oil, vinegar, coconut oil, agar agar powder or flakes, and water. Blend everything until it becomes smooth. You might need to use a blender tool to push down the mixture while it’s blending. If you melt the coconut oil before adding it to the blender, it makes the blending process a little easier.
- Next, pour the blended mixture into a pot on medium heat. Stir constantly to ensure that the mixture doesn’t burn. Once the cheese mixture begins to bubble or boil, continue cooking it for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and pour the plant-based vegan feta mixture into a heat-safe dish that has been lightly oiled. You can use a Pyrex glass baking dish measuring 6×8 or any other similar dish. Smooth out the mixture using the back of your spatula to get it into a nice, even shape.
- Now, add your preferred spice blend of choice, sprinkling it evenly on top of the cheese mixture.
- Allow the dairy-free feta cheese to cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes before placing it in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Once the cheese has fully cooled, use a knife to cut it into squares, cubes, or whatever shape you like your feta. You can then crumble it up on top of your favourite dish and enjoy!
Making your own vegan feta cheese is a fun and easy process that will allow you to enjoy a dairy-free alternative that is just as tasty as the original. This recipe is perfect for vegans, those with lactose intolerance, or anyone looking to cut down on their dairy intake.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks that can help you make the best dairy-free feta cheese possible:
- Use a high-powered blender for best results.
- Melt the coconut oil before adding it to the blender for easier blending.
- Stir constantly when cooking the cheese mixture on the stove to avoid burning.
- Use a heat-safe dish that has been lightly oiled to prevent the cheese from sticking.
- Allow the cheese to cool completely before cutting it into your desired shape.
- Add your preferred spice blend on top of the cheese mixture for added flavour.
- One tablespoon of agar flakes = 1 tsp agar powder.
FAQ: Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe
Yes, you can use extra-firm tofu instead of firm tofu. However, the texture might be slightly different.
Yes, you can use agar agar powder instead of flakes. Just be sure to use the right amount, as the ratio of powder to flakes can vary.
You can store the vegan feta cheese in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
Absolutely! This dairy free feta cheese is perfect for salads, pasta dishes, and more.
Homemade Vegan Feta Recipe
- Italian spice blend or Greek seasoning blend or Za'atar
- Drain all water from the tofu and add to a high powdered blender with garlic and onion powder, lemon juice, salt, olive oil, vinegar, coconut oil, agar agar powder or flakes, and water. Blend until smooth. I had to use the blender tool to push the mixture down while it was blending. If the coconut oil is melted before adding to the blender, it makes the blending process a little easier.
- Pour the mixture from the blender into a pot on medium heat. Stir constantly so the mixture doesn’t burn. Once the cheese begins to bubble or boil, continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and pour the plant-based vegan feta mixture into a heat safe dish that has been lightly oiled. I used a Pyrex glass baking dish 6×8. Smooth the mixture around using the back of your spatula to get it into a nice shape.
- Add your spice blend of choice sprinkling evenly on top of the cheese mixture
- Allow the cheese to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes then place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours
- Once the cheez has fully cooled, use a knife to cut it into squares, cubes or whatever shape you like your feta. Crumble it up on top of your favourite dish and enjoy!
Conclusion: Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe
Making your own vegan feta cheese is easier than you may think, and it’s a great way to enjoy your favorite dishes without compromising your dietary restrictions. With just a few ingredients and some patience, you can create a creamy and tangy vegan feta cheese that will impress your friends and family.