Apple crisp is a classic dessert, especially enjoyed during the fall season. However, finding a vegan version can be a challenge. Fortunately, this vegan apple crisp recipe provides all the flavors and textures of traditional apple crisp without animal products. The recipe combines honeycrisp apples, organic cane sugar, and cinnamon for the filling and tops it with a vegan crumble made from brown sugar, oats, and flour. This article provides a step-by-step guide, including ingredients, instructions, helpful tools, and tips and tricks to make this mouth-watering vegan dessert perfect every time.
Ingredients & Substitutions For This Vegan Apple Crisp Recipe
Ingredients are essential in any recipe, including this vegan apple crisp. The apple filling requires honeycrisp apples, peeled and chopped into small pieces. If honeycrisp is unavailable, other types of apples are a suitable substitute. To sweeten the filling, organic cane sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice are added for a tangy taste, with cinnamon for warmth and comfort.
For the crumble topping, a combination of brown sugar, rolled oats, all-purpose flour, cold vegan butter, and a pinch of salt is used. Brown sugar provides a rich sweetness, while rolled oats and all-purpose flour create a crunchy texture. Cold vegan butter binds the topping together and adds a buttery flavor, with a pinch of salt balancing the sweetness and adding depth to the flavor.
While making this vegan apple crisp recipe is quite simple, having the right tools can make the process even easier. Here are some helpful tools that you may want to have on hand:
- A good quality baking dish
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Whisk or fork for mixing the topping ingredients
- A sharp knife and peeler for preparing the apples
How to Make This Vegan Apple Crisp
Preheat your oven to 350F and grease a 6×9 baking dish with a little bit of vegan butter. If you don’t have a 6×9 baking dish, you can substitute it with an 8×8 baking dish.
Wash, peel, and chop the apples into bite-sized cubes.
In a medium mixing bowl, add the chopped apples, organic cane sugar, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and cinnamon. Mix well to combine and ensure all the apples are coated evenly.
Transfer the apple mixture into your prepared baking dish and spread it evenly.
In another medium mixing bowl, add the brown sugar, all-purpose flour, rolled oats, pinch of salt, and cold vegan butter. Use your hands to combine the ingredients until they form pea-sized crumbs.
Add the crumble mixture evenly on top of the apples in the baking dish, making sure to cover the apples completely.
Bake the vegan apple crisp in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes until the topping is golden brown and the apple filling is bubbly.
Once done, take the baking dish out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. You can serve the apple crisp warm, topped with vegan vanilla ice cream (optional), and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks that can help you make the best vegan apple crisp possible:
- Use honeycrisp apples if possible as they hold their shape well and have a nice sweet-tart flavor that works well in this recipe.
- For a more caramelized flavor, you can try substituting some of the organic cane sugar with brown sugar in the apple filling.
- If you prefer a more crumbly topping, you can try using a pastry cutter or two forks to cut the vegan butter into the flour and sugar mixture.
- If you want to make this recipe gluten-free, you can substitute the all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour and the rolled oats with certified gluten-free oats.
FAQ: Vegan Apple Crisp
Yes, you can make the apple filling and the topping ahead of time and store them separately in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, just assemble the apple crisp and bake as directed.
Yes, you can use any type of apple you like, but some types may be better suited for baking than others. Look for apples that are firm, crisp, and hold their shape when baked.
Yes, you can freeze the unbaked apple crisp for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bake as directed.
Yes, you can customize the topping by adding chopped nuts, coconut flakes, or spices like nutmeg or ginger to add more flavor and texture to the crisp.
The Best Easy Vegan Apple Crisp
- 6 honeycrisp apples, peeled and chopped (any apples will work if you can't find honeycrisp!)
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cold vegan butter
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 6×9 baking dish using a little vegan butter and set aside. (An 8×8 baking dish can be substituted)
- Wash, peel and chop the apples into bite sized cubes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add chopped apples, cane sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Mix well to combine, then transfer into your baking dish.
- Next, bake the topping by adding brown sugar, flour, oats, salt, and cold vegan butter to a medium mixing bowl.
- Using clean hands, combine the topping ingredients until there are pea-sized crumbs. Add the crumble mixture evenly on top of the apples in the baking dish.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until it's bubbly and golden brown. Serve warm, with vegan vanilla ice cream (optional) and enjoy!
This vegan apple crisp recipe is the perfect way to indulge in a sweet and satisfying dessert while still adhering to a vegan diet. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can have a delicious and comforting dessert ready in no time. Whether you’re looking for a cozy dessert to enjoy on a chilly fall evening or want to impress your friends and family with your baking skills, this recipe is sure to please. So go ahead and give it a try – we’re sure you’ll love it as much as we do!