This Vegan Tandoori Masala Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes recipe is a delicious and nutritious meal that’s perfect for the weekend or when you have a little more time to cook. The sweet potatoes take a while to bake, but the overall prep time is relatively quick. While the sweet potatoes are baking, you can continue with other tasks, and in approximately half an hour, it’s time to make the toppings!
This Indian fusion-inspired recipe is made with two of my favorite foods, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes. The chickpeas are flavored with Tandoori Masala, a blend of spices commonly used in Indian cuisine. This gives the dish a bold and flavorful kick. This recipe is packed with flavor and nutrients, making it the perfect choice for any meal. Plus, it’s easy to make and customizable to suit your taste preferences.
What is Tandoori Masala?
Tandoori Masala is a blend of spices commonly used in Indian cuisine, particularly in dishes cooked in a tandoor oven. The specific spices used can vary slightly depending on the region or personal preference. But typically include garam masala, garlic, ginger, onion, saffron, cayenne, and other spices. It is a rich and flavorful blend that adds depth and complexity to dishes. Tandoori is typically made by mixing ground spices together with a pestle and mortar. It can also be found pre-made in most grocery stores. Tandoori Masala is used to flavor a variety of dishes like Tandoori chicken, Tandoori Paneer, Tandoori fish, and more.
Ingredients & Substitutions For This Vegan Tandoori Masala Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
The ingredients required for making these delicious Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Vegan Tandoori Masala are as follows:
- Chickpeas: These provide a great source of plant-based protein and add a lovely texture to the dish.
- Olive oil: This is used to coat the chickpeas and helps to roast them to perfection.
- Tandoori masala seasoning blend: This blend of Indian spices adds a lot of flavor to the dish and gives it a beautiful color.
- Chilli powder (Optional): This adds a bit of heat to the dish and can be adjusted according to personal preference.
- Very ripe avocados: These are used to make an easy guacamole that complements the sweet potatoes and chickpeas well.
- Garlic cloves: These add a lovely flavor to the guacamole and are also great for your health.
- Cilantro (Optional): This herb adds freshness to the guacamole and makes it more flavorful.
- Lime: This is used to add a tangy flavor to the guacamole.
- Salt: This is used to season the guacamole according to personal preference.
- Tahini: This is used as a topping and adds creaminess to the dish.
These ingredients can be easily found at any grocery store or supermarket. Once you have gathered them, you are ready to start cooking!
To make this recipe, you’ll need a baking sheet, a fork, and a pan for cooking the chickpeas. You’ll also need a nice sharp knife for slicing open the sweet potatoes and a spoon for removing some of the centers.
How to Make These Tandoori Masala Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Wash and scrub 2-3 sweet potatoes thoroughly. Pat them dry with a towel.
- Poke holes in the sweet potatoes using a fork. This will help them cook more evenly.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake them in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until they are soft and tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the chickpeas. Drain and rinse 1 can of chickpeas and set them aside.
- In a pan on medium heat, toss the chickpeas in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil until they become slightly crispy. This should only take a few minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of tandoori masala seasoning blend to the chickpeas. If you like your food spicy, add 1 teaspoon of hot chili powder as well. Taste it as you go and adjust the seasoning according to your liking.
- Once the sweet potatoes are fully baked, use a fork to remove a little bit of the center of each potato (sliced open) to create a small well.
- Load the well with the chickpea mixture.
- To make the easy guacamole, mix together 3 very ripe avocados (mashed), juice of 1 lime, 2 finely grated garlic cloves, 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (optional), and salt to taste.
- Add a dollop of guacamole to the top of each sweet potato.
- Finally, drizzle tahini over each sweet potato (about 1 tablespoon per potato) and serve.
Tips & Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks for making Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Vegan Tandoori Masala:
- Use large sweet potatoes for easier stuffing and a more satisfying meal.
- Poke holes in the sweet potatoes before baking to ensure even cooking.
- Use a fork to remove a little bit of the center of the sweet potatoes to make room for the chickpea stuffing.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas thoroughly to remove excess salt and improve the texture.
- Toss the chickpeas in some olive oil and spices before cooking for added flavor and crunch.
- Taste the chickpea filling as you go to adjust the seasoning to your preference.
- Drizzle tahini sauce on top of the stuffed sweet potatoes for added creaminess and flavor.
Up to 4 days in an airtight container, and can be reheated in the microwave, oven or air fryer. Great for meal prep or as leftovers for quick meals.
Yes, but the flavor and texture may differ.
Yes, but it’s best to drain and rinse them beforehand to remove excess sodium and ensure they’re clean.
Yes, bake them ahead of time and store in the fridge until ready to stuff, just reheat before adding the chickpea filling.
Yes, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or foil and place in a freezer-safe container. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
Tandoori Masala Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Can Chickpeas (19 FL OZ.)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- ½ tsp Tandoori masala seasoning blend
- 1 tsp Chilli powder (Optional)
- 3 Very ripe avocados
- 2 Garlic cloves
- ¼ cup Cilantro (Optional)
- 1 Lime
- Salt to taste
- Bake 2-3 sweet potatoes at 425 for 40-50 minutes. Poke holes in the sweet potatoes before putting them in the oven. This allows them to cook more evenly.
- Drain and rinse 1 can chickpeas. Toss chickpeas in some olive oil (1-2 Tbsp) in a pan on medium heat till they are a bit crispy. This only takes a few minutes.
- Then add some tandoori masala seasoning blend. I used about 1/2 a tsp and then added 1 tsp of hot chili powder to make it extra spicy 🔥 I didn’t add any salt since my masala blend already had salt 🧂 in it. Taste it as you go. You can always add more spice but you can’t take it away 😝🍴
- Use a fork to remove a little of the center of the baked sweet potatoes (sliced open) and load with chickpeas.⠀
- Mix together 3 very ripe avocados (mashed), juice 1 lime, 2 finely grated garlic cloves, 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (optional for you but for me my Guac NEEDS cilantro I love it haha) and salt to taste.
- Add dollop of guacamole to top of the chickpeas and drizzle tahini (about a tablespoon per potato) and Enjoy!
These Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Vegan Tandoori Masala are a delicious and healthy meal that’s easy to make and customizable to suit your taste preferences. With the perfect balance of sweet and spicy flavors, this recipe is sure to become a favorite in your household.