Looking for a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional butter chicken? Look no further than this Vegan Chickpea Butter Chicken recipe! Packed with flavor and nutrition, this dish is sure to become a favorite. This dish is the perfect recipe for a fast and easy weeknight dinner. It can be made in just 30 minutes. Made with a butter chicken spice blend, this recipe will tantalize your taste buds and have you coming back for more.
The recipe calls for a butter chicken spice blend. This blend can be prepared in advance for added convenience. This recipe includes mostly pantry items, making it a great option for those who don’t have many fresh ingredients on hand.
Ingredients & Substitutions For This Vegan Chickpea Butter Chicken
The ingredients for this plant-based Chickpea Butter Chicken are a mix of traditional Indian spices and plant-based substitutes. Here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious dish:
- Vegan butter or oil: Instead of using ghee, which is clarified butter commonly used in Indian cooking, this recipe calls for vegan butter or oil to keep it vegan-friendly.
- Onion and garlic: These aromatics are essential in building the base of the dish and adding flavor.
- Salt-free butter chicken spice blend: This mix of traditional Indian spices, such as cumin, coriander, and turmeric, adds the signature flavor of butter chicken without dairy.
- Chickpeas: Instead of using chicken, this recipe uses chickpeas as the main protein source. Chickpeas are a great plant-based source of protein and fiber.
- Tomato paste: This helps to thicken the sauce and adds a tangy flavor.
- Coconut milk: Full-fat coconut milk adds richness and creaminess to the dish. It’s a great dairy-free substitute for heavy cream.
- Hot chili flakes or powder (optional): If you like your food spicy, you can add hot chili flakes or powder to give the dish some heat.
- Cashews (optional): If you want a thicker, creamier consistency, you can add cashews to the dish. They also add a nice nutty flavor.
To serve the dish, you can top it with fresh cilantro (if desired) and serve it with rice and naan.
For those who cannot consume cashews, there are several alternatives that can be used as a substitute. Almonds, for example, can be used as an alternative to ground cashews in most recipes. Simply grind them up in a food processor or blender until they reach the desired consistency. When using almonds, you’ll still get that nutty and creamy flavor that you’d get from cashews.
If you’re not a fan of chickpeas or can’t eat them, you can also use tofu in this Vegan Chickpea Butter Chicken recipe. Tofu is an excellent protein source and a great vegan substitute for meat. It’s also a great source of calcium and iron, making it a healthy choice for your meal. If you’re interested in the tofu version of this recipe, let us know in the comments below and we’ll make sure to share it with you.
Can’t Find Vegan Butter Chicken Spice Blend for Your Recipe?
Don’t let that stop you from enjoying this flavorful, Indian-inspired dish! A butter chicken spice blend is a convenient ingredient that makes the recipe a little easier, but it’s not necessary. You can certainly use another brand or make your own blend with the following spices: Coriander, Red chili, Salt, Cumin powder, Black pepper, Turmeric, Cassia, Cardamom green, Cloves, Nutmeg, Mace, Star Anise. My personal favorite is the MDH butter chicken spice mix from a superstore. But you can use any other brand that you find. With these spices in your pantry, you can easily whip up a delicious and authentic butter chicken spice blend that will make your vegan chickpea butter chicken recipe taste even better.
Make Your Own Blend With The Following Spices
|Coriander||A warm, citrusy spice with a slightly sweet and floral flavor|
|Red chili||A spicy and hot chili pepper|
|Salt||A mineral seasoning used to enhance flavor and preserve food|
|Cumin powder||A pungent, earthy spice with a warm, slightly bitter flavor|
|Black pepper||A pungent and spicy seasoning with a woody, floral aroma|
|Turmeric||A bright yellow spice with a warm and slightly bitter flavor|
|Cassia||A sweet and spicy cinnamon-like spice|
|Cardamom (green)||A warm, floral, and slightly sweet spice|
|Cloves||A sweet and aromatic spice with a strong, pungent flavor|
|Nutmeg||A warm and sweet spice with a slightly nutty flavor|
|Mace||A warm and aromatic spice with a slightly sweet flavor|
|Star Anise||A sweet and licorice-like spice with a warm flavor|
- Large skillet or frying pan
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Cutting board and sharp knife
- Wooden spoon or spatula for stirring
- Can opener
How to Make This Vegan Chickpea Butter Chicken
- Add 2 tbsp vegan butter (or oil) to a pan on medium heat.
- Add 1/2 diced large onion to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add 1 heaping tbsp of minced ginger and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1 heaping tbsp of salt-free butter chicken spice blend and mix it into the onion and garlic mixture.
- Add 6 tbsp tomato paste to the pan and stir until everything is well mixed.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cans of rinsed and drained chickpeas (based on a 19oz or 540 ml can) to the pan.
- Add a little salt to taste and mix everything well until the chickpeas are coated in the mixture.
- Add 1 can of full-fat coconut milk and stir until everything is well mixed.
- Add hot chili flakes or powder to your preferred spice level (optional).
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- If desired, add 10 ground-up cashews to the pan for a thicker, creamier consistency and to add a nice nutty flavor.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and rice or naan. Enjoy!
That’s it! With just a few easy steps, you can enjoy this delicious and nutritious Vegan Chickpea Butter Chicken.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks that can help you make the best dairy-free chickpea butter chicken possible:
- Use a spice blend that you love to make this recipe your own.
- Don’t skip the cashews – they add a delicious nutty flavor and a thicker, creamier consistency to the dish.
- Serve with rice or naan for a complete meal.
FAQ: Vegan Chickpea Butter Chicken
Yes, it is!
While it may change the flavor slightly, you can use almond milk instead of coconut milk if you prefer.
You can adjust the heat level by adding more or less chili flakes/powder to your preference.
Yes, you can make it ahead of time and reheat it when you’re ready to serve.
Best Chickpea Vegan Butter Chicken Recipe
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (or oil)
- ½ onion diced large onion
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp salt free butter chicken spice blend
- 1 ½ cans chickpeas (based on a 19oz or 540 ml can)
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 tbsp hot chilli flakes or powder (optional)
- 10 cashews (optional, but gives it such a nice flavour and a thicker, creamier consistency!)
Items to serve with
- cliantro (optional)
- Add 2 Tbsp vegan butter (or oil) to a pan on medium heat
- Add 1/2 diced large onion
- Cook the butter and onion on medium heat for 3-4 minutes
- Next add 1 heaping Tbsp of minced ginger
- And 3 cloves of minced garlic
- Cook another 1-2 minutes
- Next add 1 heaping Tbsp of salt free butter chicken spice blend
- Mix it up then add 6 tbsp tomato paste
- Add 1 and 1/2 cans of rinsed and drained chickpeas (based on a 19oz or 540 ml can)
- Add a little salt to taste and mix it well till the chickpeas are coated in the mixture
- Add 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- Add hot chilli flakes or powder to your preferred spice level (optional, you know I like a lot!! 😝 🔥)
- Reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes – stirring often
- Add 10 ground up cashews (optional, but gives it such a nice flavour and a thicker, creamier consistency!)
- Serve with fresh cilantro and rice or naan. Enjoy!
Vegan Chickpea Butter Chicken is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional butter chicken. Packed with flavor and nutrition, this dish is sure to become a favorite. With just a few easy steps, you can enjoy this tasty and satisfying meal in no time.