Looking for a simple and delicious recipe for homemade vegan croutons? Look no further! This recipe is easy to make and uses just a few simple ingredients that you likely already have on hand. These homemade croutons are perfect for adding crunch and flavor to soups, salads, and more. So why not give them a try today?
Ingredients & Substitutions For These Homemade Vegan Croutons
To make homemade croutons, you’ll need a few simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry. First, you’ll need a baguette, preferably at least a day or two old. Any variety of bread will do, so feel free to use whatever leftover bread you have on hand.
In addition to the bread, you’ll need some extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. The olive oil will help the croutons crisp up in the oven, while the garlic powder and Italian seasoning will add flavor. The salt and pepper will help to balance out the flavors and add a little bit of extra seasoning.
Overall, these ingredients are easy to find and can be customized to suit your personal taste preferences. So gather them up and get ready to make some delicious homemade vegan croutons!
- A good quality pan
- A sharp knife for cutting the bread into crouton-sized squares
- Airtight containers for storing the croutons
How to Make These Homemade Vegan Croutons
Making homemade croutons is incredibly easy and takes just a few minutes of active time. To get started, first, preheat a pan over medium heat and add 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Allow the oil to heat up for a minute or two.
Next, cut your bread into little crouton-sized squares. Once the oil is heated up, add the bread squares to the pan and keep them moving until they’re toasted and crispy. This should take around 5-10 minutes, depending on the size of your bread squares.
Once the croutons are toasted, add 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1/2-1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning to the pan. If you want a little extra seasoning, you can also add a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
Keep the croutons moving in the pan until they’re evenly coated in the seasoning and fragrant. Once they’re done, transfer them to an airtight container for storage. These homemade croutons will keep well for up to a week.
If you prefer, you can also bake your croutons in the oven. Simply toss the bread squares with the olive oil and seasonings, spread them out on a baking sheet, and bake them in the oven at 375°F for around 10-15 minutes, or until they’re crispy and golden brown. However, using the pan method is faster and easier, making it a great option if you’re short on time.
You can also try adding these homemade croutons to my Vegan Kale Caesar Salad Recipe.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks that can help you make the best homemade vegan croutons possible:
- Use leftover bread that’s at least a day or two old for the best texture.
- Be sure to keep the croutons moving in the pan while toasting to ensure they cook evenly.
- Experiment with different seasonings to find your favorite flavor combination.
- If you’re short on time, use the pan method instead of baking the croutons in the oven.
FAQ: Homemade Vegan Croutons
Yes, you can use any type of bread you like. Just make sure it’s at least a day or two old.
These vegan croutons will keep well for up to a week when stored in an airtight container.
Yes, simply use a gluten-free bread instead of a regular baguette.
Yes, you can bake the croutons in the oven at 375°F for around 10-15 minutes, or until they’re crispy and golden brown.
Yes, you can make homemade vegan croutons without oil. Instead of using oil, you can use a non-stick cooking spray or brush the bread cubes with a little bit of vegetable broth before baking.
- Baguette (Ideally at least a day or two old, any variety will do. Whatever leftover bread you have)
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cut bread into little crouton sized squares
- Add 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil to a pan on medium heat
- Throw in your bread squares and keep them moving until they’re toasted
- Add 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- And 1/2-1 two of Italian seasoning
- A little dash of salt & pepper to taste if you need it
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week
- These can also be baked in the oven but I find the pan method so fast and easy!
Homemade vegan croutons are a great way to add flavor and texture to your favorite soups, salads, and more. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, you can whip up a batch of these delicious croutons in no time. So why not give them a try today?