These PF Chang’s Inspired Vegan Lettuce Wraps are so flavorful. If you’re looking for a delicious vegan dinner recipe that’s low-carb, high-protein, and packed full of flavor, this is it! They are perfect for a dinner party, or for a light and healthy dinner at home. These wraps are filled with a savory and flavorful mushroom and tofu filling and served in crisp lettuce cups. Top with your favorite sauce and enjoy!
Ingredients & Substitutions For These Vegan Lettuce Wraps
The sauce for these vegan lettuce wraps is a perfect combination of salty and sweet flavors, with a touch of acidity and nuttiness from sesame oil. Here are the ingredients needed to make it:
- Hoisin Sauce
- Soy Sauce or Tamari
- Rice Vinegar
- Sesame Oil
For the filling, you’ll need:
- Oil for cooking
- Extra firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- Cremini mushrooms, chopped
- Diced water chestnuts
- Minced garlic
- Minced ginger
- Hot chili, finely chopped (optional)
- Green onion, diced
To top off these delicious wraps, you can use:
- Sriracha (optional)
- Pickled carrots (check out this quick pickled onions recipe for inspiration)
- Green onions
How to Elevate Your Vegan Lettuce Wraps:
Additional toppings that could be added to these vegan lettuce wraps include cilantro, chopped peanuts, diced red bell pepper, and sliced jalapeño for some added heat. You could also add some diced avocado for a creamy texture. Other options include crushed cashews, vegan cashew cream, and sesame seeds for added crunch. You could also add some diced pineapple for a sweet and tangy flavor contrast.
With these fresh and flavorful ingredients, you can easily prepare a satisfying and healthy meal that is perfect for any occasion.
- Non-stick pan: A non-stick pan is ideal for cooking the tofu and vegetables without using too much oil and preventing sticking.
- Tofu press: A tofu press helps to remove excess liquid from the tofu, making it easier to crumble and absorb the flavors of the sauce.
- Masher: A masher can be used to crumble the tofu into small pieces quickly and efficiently.
How to Make These PF Chang’s Inspired Vegan Lettuce Wraps
Now that you have all your ingredients ready, let’s move on to the steps for making these delicious vegan lettuce wraps!
- Start by pressing the tofu to remove any excess liquid. This will help it absorb the flavors of the sauce better. Once the tofu is pressed, crumble it into small pieces either using your hands or a masher.
- In a small bowl, mix together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce (or tamari), rice vinegar, and sesame oil until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the crumbled tofu and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped mushrooms to the pan and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Next, add the diced water chestnuts, minced garlic, minced ginger, and hot chili (if using). Cook for another minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the green onion to the pan, along with the sauce mixture, and mix everything together well.
- To assemble the wraps, take a piece of butter lettuce (or lettuce of your choice) and spoon a small amount of the filling into it. Top with your preferred toppings such as sriracha, pickled carrots, and green onions.
- Roll up the lettuce wrap and enjoy!
This recipe is perfect for a quick and healthy lunch or vegan dinner, and the filling can be made ahead of time for easy meal prep. Try it out and customize it to your liking with your favorite toppings!
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks that can help you make the best PF Chang’s Inspired Vegan Lettuce Wraps possible:
- If you’re short on time, you can skip pressing the tofu and use a paper towel to absorb any excess liquid instead.
- To add more flavor to the filling, you can also add a tablespoon of miso paste or a dash of five-spice powder to the sauce mixture.
- Make sure to chop the vegetables finely so that they cook evenly and are easy to eat in the lettuce wraps.
- For a spicy kick, you can add more chili or sriracha sauce to the filling.
- To make the wraps easier to eat, you can double up the lettuce leaves or use toothpicks to hold them together.
FAQ: Vegan Lettuce Wraps
Yes, you can use any type of lettuce that you prefer, such as romaine or iceberg lettuce.
Yes, you can use any protein source of your choice, such as tempeh, seitan, or even lentils. Although this will alter the flavor.
Yes, you can make the filling ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Yes, you can use gluten-free tamari instead of soy sauce in the recipe.
Vegan Lettuce Wraps – PF Chang’s Inspired
- 3 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce or Tamari
- 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
A head of Butter Lettuce or lettuce of choice
- 2 tdp Oil
- 1 brick Extra firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- 3.5 cups Cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can Diced water chestnuts
- 4 cloves Minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Minced ginger
- 1 (optional) Hot chili, finely chopped
- 1 Green onion, diced
- (optional) Sriracha
- Pickled carrots
- Green onions
- Press tofu to remove an excess liquid, then crumble into small pieces either using your hands or a masher.
- Add hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil to a bowl. Mix it well and set aside. In a non-stick pan on medium heat, add the oil then the crumbled-up tofu. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Next, add the diced water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, and hot chili. Cook for another minute. Add the green onion and the sauce, and mix it well.
- Place the filling on the lettuce, add your toppings and enjoy!
Whether you’re a longtime vegan or just looking to try something new, these PF Chang’s Inspired Vegan Lettuce Wraps are a great option. They’re easy to make, packed with flavor, and perfect for any occasion. So why not give them a try and enjoy a tasty and satisfying meal today?