If you’re looking for a quick and delicious side dish, you’ve come to the right place. These fingerling potatoes are perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Plus, they’re made with simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. With just a few easy steps, you’ll have a tasty and satisfying dish in no time. Let’s dive right in and see how to make these irresistible air-fried fingerling potatoes!
Ingredients & Substitutions for This Fingerling Potatoes Recipe
When it comes to the ingredients for our Fingerling Potatoes in Air Fryer recipe, simplicity is key. Here’s what you’ll need: fingerling potatoes, olive oil, Italian spice, garlic powder, nutritional yeast (or vegan parm), cayenne or hot chili powder (optional), and salt and pepper.
Fingerling potatoes work best for this recipe due to their small size and creamy texture. However, if you can’t find fingerling potatoes, you can substitute them with baby potatoes or any small variety that you prefer.
Olive oil adds a delightful crispness to the potatoes, but you can use your preferred cooking oil as a substitute. Italian spice brings a savory and aromatic flavor, but if you don’t have it on hand, you can use a combination of dried herbs like oregano, basil, and thyme. Garlic powder adds a hint of garlic goodness, but fresh minced garlic can be used instead. Nutritional yeast or vegan parm provides a cheesy and umami flavor, but if you’re not following a vegan diet, you can use regular Parmesan cheese.
Lastly, cayenne or hot chili powder can be added for a spicy kick, but feel free to skip it if you prefer a milder taste. Adjust the salt and pepper to your liking, and you’re ready to make these delicious air-fried fingerling potatoes!
- Air Fryer: This recipe specifically calls for an air fryer, which is a countertop appliance that uses hot air circulation to cook food quickly and evenly. It’s the star of this recipe, ensuring that the potatoes come out perfectly crispy.
- Mixing Bowl: A large mixing bowl is essential for tossing the potatoes with the seasonings and oil. It allows for even distribution of flavors, ensuring that every potato gets coated properly.
- Spatula or Tongs: When flipping the potatoes halfway through the cooking process, a spatula or tongs are useful for gently turning them over without damaging their shape. Opt for heat-resistant utensils to handle the hot potatoes and avoid scratching the air fryer basket.
- Fork or Toothpick: To check if the potatoes are cooked through, a fork or toothpick can be used to pierce them. If they easily slide through the potatoes, it indicates that they’re tender and ready to be enjoyed.
- Serving Dish: Once the fingerling potatoes are cooked to perfection, transfer them to a serving dish or platter. This not only makes for a visually appealing presentation but also keeps them warm until they’re ready to be served.
How to Make Crispy Fingerling Air Fryer Potatoes
Start by preparing the fingerling potatoes. Wash and dry them thoroughly, then cut them in half lengthwise. This ensures that they cook evenly and have a crispy exterior.
Grab a large mixing bowl and add the cut potatoes. To enhance their flavor, drizzle them with olive oil, then sprinkle in the Italian spice, garlic powder, nutritional yeast (or vegan parm), and optional cayenne or hot chili powder for some heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Toss the potatoes in the bowl, making sure all the ingredients are well combined and each potato is coated with the flavorful mixture.
Preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). This allows it to reach the desired cooking temperature, ensuring that the potatoes cook evenly and develop a crispy texture.
Once preheated, place the seasoned fingerling potatoes in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Avoid overcrowding to allow proper air circulation and crispiness.
Air fry the potatoes for 15 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking process. This ensures that both sides are evenly cooked and golden brown.
Keep an eye on the potatoes as they cook, ensuring they become crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. To test for doneness, you can easily pierce them with a fork or toothpick.
Once cooked to perfection, transfer the fingerling potatoes to a serving dish or platter. Serve them while they’re hot and at their crispiest, allowing everyone to enjoy their irresistible flavor and texture. For an extra burst of flavor, serve the fingerling potatoes with a side of vegan ranch dipping sauce.
Tips & Tricks
- Choose the Right Potatoes: Opt for fresh and firm fingerling potatoes. Their small size and creamy texture work perfectly for this recipe. If fingerlings aren’t available, you can use baby potatoes or another small variety as a substitute.
- Coat Thoroughly: When tossing the potatoes with the seasonings and oil in the mixing bowl, make sure every potato gets coated thoroughly. This ensures that each bite is bursting with flavor.
- Don’t Overcrowd the Air Fryer: To achieve optimal crispiness, avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket. Leaving enough space between the potatoes allows hot air to circulate evenly, resulting in a crispy exterior.
- Flip Halfway Through: Remember to flip the potatoes halfway through the cooking time. This ensures that both sides are evenly cooked and develop a golden-brown color.
- Monitor Cooking Time: Keep an eye on the potatoes as they cook in the air fryer. Cooking times may vary slightly depending on the size and thickness of the potatoes. Adjust the cooking time if needed to achieve the desired level of crispiness.
- Adjust Seasonings: Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your personal taste preferences. If you prefer a milder flavor, reduce the amount of Italian spice, garlic powder, or optional hot chili powder. Similarly, increase the quantities if you prefer a bolder taste.
- Experiment with Dipping Sauces: While the fingerling potatoes are delicious on their own, you can elevate the experience by serving them with various dipping sauces. Try options like vegan ranch, garlic aioli, or spicy mayo for an extra flavor kick.
- Have Fun with Garnishes: Feel free to get creative with garnishes. Sprinkle some fresh herbs like parsley or chives over the potatoes before serving to add a pop of color and freshness.
FAQ: Fingerling Potatoes
While fingerling potatoes work best for this recipe due to their small size and creamy texture, you can substitute them with baby potatoes or any small variety you prefer. Just ensure they are fresh and firm for the best results.
Yes, you can use your preferred cooking oil as a substitute for olive oil. However, keep in mind that olive oil adds a delightful crispness to the potatoes, so using a similar high-heat oil is recommended for achieving the desired texture.
If you don’t have Italian spice on hand, you can create your own blend using dried herbs like oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary. Experiment with different combinations until you find the flavor profile you enjoy.
Absolutely! While the recipe calls for garlic powder, you can substitute it with fresh minced garlic. Use about one clove of garlic per teaspoon of garlic powder.
Yes, you can omit the nutritional yeast or vegan parm if you don’t have them or prefer not to use them. However, they add a cheesy and umami flavor to the potatoes, so consider using regular Parmesan cheese if you’re not following a vegan diet.
While the air fryer provides excellent results with its quick and even cooking, you can still make these fingerling potatoes in a regular oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and bake the potatoes on a baking sheet for approximately 20-25 minutes, flipping them once halfway through.
Easy Fingerling Air Fryer Potatoes
- 1.5 lbs fingerling potatoes, washed and dried
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian spice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (or vegan parm)
- cayenne or hot chili powder to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut fingerling potatoes in half lengthwise.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cut potatoes, olive oil, Italian spice, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, hot chili powder, salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Air fry at 390 degrees for 15 minutes, flipping the potatoes halfway. The potatoes are done when they are crispy on the outside, and can easily be pierced with a fork. (Optional: serve with a side of vegan ranch dipping sauce) Serve while they're hot, and enjoy!
Discover an effortless recipe for Fingerling Potatoes in Air Fryer. This quick and delightful side dish features crispy exteriors and tender insides. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you’ll have a flavorful dish in no time. The article includes practical tips and tricks for success, such as choosing the right potatoes, achieving even coating, and monitoring cooking time. A FAQ section addresses common queries, providing useful insights for ingredient substitutions and alternative cooking methods. Whether as a snack or side, these air-fried fingerling potatoes are a guaranteed crowd-pleaser, offering a delectable combination of taste and texture.