Red Lentil Potato Soup is more than a dish; it’s a delicious blend of red lentils and potatoes that promises a satisfying burst of flavors. Today, let’s explore this comforting soup and learn how to recreate its magic in your own kitchen. If you are a fan of one-pot recipes you can check out my collection of One Pot Vegan Meals here. You can also check out my full collection of delicious Lentil Recipes & Lentil Soup Recipes here.
Health Benefits of Red Lentils:
Before we delve into the recipe, let’s take a moment to appreciate the nutritional powerhouse that is red lentils. Packed with essential nutrients, including fiber, protein, and various vitamins, red lentils contribute not only to the soup’s delightful taste but also to your overall well-being. Their positive impact on heart health and digestion makes them a star ingredient in any nutritious meal.
Potatoes: A Hearty Addition:
Now, let’s talk about the unsung hero of this soup – potatoes. Beyond their comforting taste and creamy texture, potatoes bring a wealth of nutrients to the table. From potassium to vitamin C, these humble spuds complement the red lentils, creating a wholesome and satisfying dish.
Ingredients & Substitutions:
In crafting this culinary masterpiece, you’ll need a few key ingredients. The following list outlines the essentials without specifying quantities:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Italian seasoning
- Dry red lentils
- Vegetable broth
- Nutritional yeast
- White miso paste (optional but highly recommended)
- Chopped spinach (or kale)
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
Feel free to explore substitutions based on your dietary preferences, ensuring a personalized touch to your Red Lentil Potato Soup.
To make the cooking process seamless, gather the following tools:
- Large Dutch oven or pot
- Wooden spoon for stirring
- Chopping board and knife for prep
- Measuring cups for accuracy
- Lemon squeezer for fresh juice
These tools will ensure you navigate the recipe with ease, turning the cooking experience into a joyous adventure.
How To Make This Recipe:
In a large Dutch oven or pot, combine olive oil, onions, carrots, and celery. Sauté on low heat for about 8 minutes.
Add minced garlic, turmeric, and Italian seasoning. Continue cooking for another minute, stirring regularly to prevent sticking.
Pour in vegetable broth, red lentils, soy sauce, miso paste, nutritional yeast, and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer rapidly for 10-12 minutes until potatoes are tender.
Adjust the consistency with more water if needed. Add chopped spinach or kale, cooking until wilted (approximately 1-2 minutes for spinach).
Squeeze the juice of one lemon into the soup, season with salt and pepper to taste, and savor the delightful aroma and flavors.
Tips & Tricks:
- To enhance the soup’s flavor, consider adding a dash of your favorite herbs or spices.
- Experiment with different greens like kale or Swiss chard for a unique twist.
- For a creamier texture, blend a portion of the soup before adding the lemon juice.
Yes, this soup freezes well. Allow it to cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe containers.
While optional, miso paste adds depth and umami to the soup. Highly recommended for an extra flavor boost.
Absolutely! Sweet potatoes can be a delicious alternative, offering a slightly sweeter note to the dish.
Red lentils cook relatively quickly, usually in 10-12 minutes under rapid simmering.
Reheat gently on the stovetop, adding a splash of water if needed to maintain the desired consistency.
Red Lentil Potato Soup With Lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 3-4 yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- dash of turmeric
- 1 ½ cups dry red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 cups water
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp white miso paste (use 1 tbsp of soy sauce or tamari if you don't have miso)
- 4 cups chopped spinach (or kale)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon juiced
- In a large dutch oven or pot add your olive oil, onions, carrots, and celery. Cook on low heat for about 8 mins. Add in your minced garlic, turmeric and Italian seasoning and cook for another minute. Stir regularly to make sure they don't stick to the pan and burn.
- Next, add in your vegetable broth, red lentils, miso paste, nutritional yeast and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a rapid simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add more water only if needed to adjust the consistency. Add in 2 large handfuls of chopped spinach or kale, and cook until it wilts. (about 1-2 mins for spinach)
- Add in the juice of 1 large lemon, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
In conclusion, Red Lentil Potato Soup is more than just a recipe; it’s a culinary journey that delights the senses. With the perfect blend of red lentils, potatoes, and an array of flavorful ingredients, this soup is a testament to comfort and nourishment. Embrace the joy of homemade goodness and treat yourself to a bowl of heartwarming Red Lentil Potato Soup today.