Looking for a healthy and delicious red lentil soup recipe? This hearty, gluten-free soup is packed with iron and fiber from red lentils. Perfect for vegan meal prep, this quick and easy recipe makes the ideal lunch or appetizer. Packed with nutrition, this vegan red lentil soup is sure to satisfy your taste buds and keep you full for hours.
Ingredients & Substitutions For This Vegan Red Lentil Soup Recipe
The vegan red lentil soup recipe requires a variety of ingredients to create a flavorful and satisfying soup. The base of the soup is made up of red lentils, which are rinsed well before use. Olive oil is used to sauté the onions and garlic, while bay leaves are added to infuse a subtle flavor. Tomato paste is added for a tangy taste, along with an Italian spice blend to add complexity to the soup. Chopped carrots and onions are added for sweetness and depth of flavor.
“Chicken-less” broth or vegetable broth is used to create the liquid base of the soup, along with water to thin it out to desired consistency. Hot chili flakes are added to taste for a hint of spiciness, and a large handful of chopped greens can be added for added nutrition. Finally, the soup is topped off with fresh ground black pepper and fresh parsley or other herbs to enhance the flavors of the dish.
- Large saucepan or soup pot
- Blender or immersion blender
- Colander for rinsing the lentils
- Chopping board and knife for preparing vegetables
- Measuring cups and spoons
How to Make This Red Lentil Soup Recipe
Making red lentil soup vegan is a simple process that can be accomplished in just a few steps. Begin by rinsing the red lentils well in a colander. If you have a sensitive stomach, you can soak the lentils first and then rinse them thoroughly.
Next, heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Once the oil is heated, add in the chopped onion and carrot, and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until they are softened. Now add in the bay leaves and Italian spice blend, and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
After that, pour in the “chicken-less” broth or vegetable broth, water, red lentils, tomato paste, and hot chili flakes. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Stir the soup occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan or burning.
When the soup is done simmering, scoop out 2 cups of the soup and transfer it to a blender. Blend the soup until smooth, then add it back into the pot with the remainder of the soup. Mix well.
If you have fresh greens like spinach or kale, add them to the lentil soup pot and let them simmer for about 5 minutes until they soften. If using kale, massage it with a little bit of olive oil first to remove any bitterness.
Finally, serve the red lentil soup in a bowl and add your desired toppings. You can sprinkle some fresh ground black pepper or fresh herbs like parsley on top to enhance the flavor of the soup. Enjoy your delicious and healthy plant based lentil soup!
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks that can help you make the best vegan red lentil soup possible:
- To prevent the soup from sticking to the bottom of the pan or burning, stir it occasionally while simmering.
- If you’re using kale, massage it with a little olive oil first to remove the bitterness before adding it to the soup.
- Red lentils tend to thicken up easily, so when reheating the soup, you may need to add a little water to thin it out slightly.
- If you have leftovers, the soup will thicken as it sits in the fridge. Simply add in some water or broth to thin it out when reheating.
- This is a very flexible recipe and almost any spice blend can be used. Soup is a great way to use up some extra veggies in the house so don’t be afraid to add other vegetables into the mix!
FAQ: Vegan Red Lentil Soup
No problem! Simply substitute 1/3 cup of tomato sauce for the tomato paste. Keep in mind, red lentils tend to thicken up easily, so when reheating the soup, you may need to add a little water to thin it out slightly.
Leftover vegan red lentil soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply thaw if frozen and gently heat on the stove or in the microwave, adding a splash of water or broth if the soup has thickened.
For an added flavor boost, top with vegan parmesan cheese, add fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro. You can also add a dollop of coconut cream, greek yogurt or sour cream. Another option is to add a swirl of chili oil or extra virgin olive oil and serve with crusty bread.
Yes, you can customize the topping by adding chopped nuts, coconut flakes, or spices like nutmeg or ginger to add more flavor and texture to the crisp.
Red Lentil Soup Vegan
- 1 ½ cups Red lentils rinsed well
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste, heaping tablespoons
- 1 tbsp Italian spice blend
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large Carrots, chopped
- 1 small Yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups “Chicken-less” broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup Water
- Hot chili flakes (to taste)
- 1 large Handful of chopped greens (optional)
- Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Fresh parsley or other fresh herbs (to taste)
- chili oil
- Start by rinsing the red lentils well. They can be soaked and then rinsed if you are especially sensitive to lentils.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, add the olive oil.
- Next, add in the onion and carrot. Cook for about 3-4minutes or until soft.
- Now add in the bay leaves, and Italian spice blend. Mix well and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add in minced garlic and cook for another 30seconds.
- Next, add in broth, water, red lentils, tomato paste and chili flakes. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the soup from sticking to the bottom of the pan or burning.
- Once the 15 minutes is up, scoop out 2 cups of the soup and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth, and add the blended portion back into the pot with the remainder of the soup. Mix well.
- If you have spinach or kale to add into the soup, add into the pot and simmer until it softens. About 5 minutes. If using kale, massage with a little olive oil first to remove the bitterness.
- Now serve into a bowl, add your favourite toppings and enjoy!
Conclusion: Red Lentil Soup Recipe
This red lentil soup recipe is a delicious and healthy meal option that is easy to make and budget-friendly. With the combination of red lentils, vegetables, and flavorful spices, this soup provides a nutritious boost of plant-based protein, fiber, iron, and folate. Plus, it’s gluten-free and perfect for vegan meal prep. Whether you’re looking for a comforting lunch or a hearty appetizer, this soup is sure to satisfy you. So, give it a try and let the warm and comforting aroma of this soup fill your kitchen and nourish your body and soul!