Introducing our Grilled Potatoes recipe! This delightful dish showcases tender baby potatoes bursting with a medley of flavors, making it an ideal side for your barbecue gatherings. Featuring savory garlic, Italian seasoning, and a touch of nutritional yeast, these grilled potatoes are guaranteed to please. Wrapped in foil and cooked to perfection on the grill, they deliver a tantalizing combination of crispy edges and melt-in-your-mouth goodness. Prepare yourself to relish each bite of these mouthwatering grilled potatoes, taking your BBQ experience to new heights.
Ingredients & Substitutions For This Grilled Potato BBQ Recipe
Let’s start with the star ingredient of our dish: baby potatoes. These petite spuds provide a delightful bite and have a tender, creamy texture that pairs beautifully with the smoky char from the grill. If you can’t find baby potatoes, feel free to substitute them with small or medium-sized regular potatoes. Just remember to cut them into halves or quarters for even cooking.
Next, we have the luscious vegan butter, which imparts a rich and indulgent taste to the grilled potatoes. However, if you follow a different dietary preference or don’t have vegan butter on hand, fear not! You can easily substitute it with olive oil or your preferred plant-based oil. This substitution will maintain the moisture and contribute a delightful hint of earthiness to the dish.
To add savory notes, we include garlic powder or fresh minced garlic in the recipe. Garlic brings depth and aroma, infusing each potato with irresistible flavors. If you prefer fresh ingredients, feel free to use minced garlic cloves instead of garlic powder. The choice is yours, and both options contribute that wonderful garlicky essence.
The ensemble is completed with a blend of Italian seasoning, seasoning salt, black pepper, and optional nutritional yeast. Italian seasoning contributes a delightful herbal blend, while the seasoning salt and black pepper provide a balanced and harmonious flavor. If you choose to include it, nutritional yeast offers a subtle cheesy and nutty undertone that elevates the grilled potatoes. Don’t hesitate to experiment and adjust the seasoning to suit your taste preferences.
- Grill or Barbecue: A reliable grill or barbecue is the heart of this recipe. Whether you prefer a charcoal grill, gas grill, or electric grill, make sure it is clean and in good working condition before starting. Ensure that you have enough fuel or propane for the duration of cooking.
- Aluminum Foil: Aluminum foil is essential for wrapping the potatoes and creating individual foil packets. It helps seal in the flavors and moisture while allowing even cooking. Ensure you have enough foil to wrap each portion securely.
- Tongs or Spatula: Long-handled tongs or a spatula are invaluable for flipping and handling the foil packets on the grill. They help prevent burning and allow for easy maneuvering.
- Knife and Cutting Board: You’ll need a sharp knife and a cutting board for cutting the potatoes into halves or quarters, depending on their size. Ensure your knife is sharp to make the cutting process efficient.
- Oven Mitts or Heat-Resistant Gloves: When handling the foil packets on the grill, protect your hands with oven mitts or heat-resistant gloves to avoid burns. Safety is paramount, so make sure your hands are well-protected.
How to Make These BBQ Grilled Potatoes in Foil
To kickstart this flavorful adventure, begin by preheating your grill to a medium-high heat, ranging between 375-400 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature range ensures that the potatoes cook evenly, resulting in a perfect balance of tenderness and a delightful char on the outside.
Next, prepare your handy foil packets that will encase the potatoes in a bundle of deliciousness. Take a large piece of aluminum foil and place the baby potatoes at the center. Lift all the edges of the foil, creating a container shape, ensuring that the melted butter won’t escape.
In a small bowl, combine the melted vegan butter with an enticing blend of garlic, Italian spice, salt, pepper, and optional nutritional yeast. Stir the ingredients well, allowing the flavors to meld together into a mouthwatering mixture. Pour this delectable concoction evenly over the waiting potatoes, gently stirring to ensure each potato is coated with the irresistible blend.
With the potatoes coated in the flavorful blend, it’s time to seal the foil packets, ensuring the potatoes are spread out in a single layer without stacking on top of one another. This positioning guarantees even cooking and allows the potatoes to soak up all the delicious flavors.
Finally, place the foil packets on the grill, directly over the heat source. Let the magic happen as the potatoes sizzle and cook in their cozy foil homes. Allow them to grill for approximately 20-25 minutes, taking care to stir the potatoes gently halfway through the cooking process. This ensures that each potato receives an equal amount of heat and flavor infusion.
Remove the foil packets from the grill, taking in the tantalizing aroma that fills the air. Carefully open the packets and behold the sight of perfectly grilled potatoes, boasting crispy edges and a melt-in-your-mouth tenderness. Serve these delightful gems with pride, and watch as your friends and family revel in the irresistible flavors and textures.
Tips & Tricks
- Selecting the perfect potatoes: When choosing potatoes for this recipe, opt for baby potatoes if possible. Their small size ensures quicker cooking and a more consistent texture. However, if you can’t find baby potatoes, you can use small or medium-sized regular potatoes. Just remember to cut them into halves or quarters to ensure even cooking.
- Foil packet construction: When creating the foil packets, make sure to seal them tightly to prevent any leakage of the flavorful butter mixture. It’s also important to keep the potatoes in a single layer, avoiding stacking them on top of each other. This ensures that each potato receives the ideal amount of heat and flavor distribution.
- Customize the seasoning: Feel free to adjust the seasoning according to your personal taste preferences. If you prefer a bolder garlic flavor, add an extra clove of minced garlic or increase the amount of garlic powder. Likewise, you can experiment with different herbs and spices to tailor the flavor profile to your liking.
- Don’t overcook: Keep a close eye on the potatoes while grilling to avoid overcooking. The cooking time may vary depending on the size of the potatoes and the heat of your grill. Test the potatoes for doneness by inserting a fork or skewer into them. They should be tender but not overly mushy.
- Get creative with add-ons: While these grilled potatoes are delightful on their own, you can get creative with additional toppings or add-ons. Consider sprinkling some freshly chopped herbs like parsley or chives over the potatoes before serving. You can also add a sprinkle of grated cheese or a dollop of sour cream for an extra indulgent touch.
- Foil alternatives: If you prefer not to use aluminum foil, you can try using parchment paper or grill-safe cooking bags as alternatives. These options will still help seal in the flavors and moisture while allowing for even cooking.
- Precook for convenience: To save time, you can partially precook the potatoes by boiling or microwaving them until they are slightly tender. This will reduce the grilling time and ensure that the potatoes are fully cooked and tender on the inside while still achieving a crispy exterior on the grill.
FAQ: BBQ Grilled Potatoes in Foil
Absolutely! While baby potatoes are recommended for this recipe due to their small size and tender texture, you can substitute them with small or medium-sized regular potatoes. Just remember to cut them into halves or quarters to ensure even cooking.
Yes, you can use regular butter if you’re not following a vegan diet. The melted butter adds a rich and indulgent flavor to the grilled potatoes.
While the foil helps create a convenient cooking environment and ensures even heat distribution, you can still grill the potatoes without it. Simply place the potatoes directly on the grill grates and turn them occasionally to ensure even cooking. However, be careful as the potatoes might be more prone to sticking and require more attention to prevent burning.
While these grilled potatoes are best enjoyed fresh off the grill, you can prepare some of the steps in advance to save time. You can pre-cut the potatoes and mix the seasoning mixture ahead of time. When you’re ready to grill, simply assemble the foil packets and proceed with grilling as directed.
Yes, you can bake the potatoes in the oven if you don’t have access to a grill. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) and place the foil packets on a baking sheet. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown.
Absolutely! Feel free to add your favorite vegetables to the foil packets along with the potatoes. Bell peppers, onions, zucchini, or corn are great options that complement the flavors of the grilled potatoes. Just ensure that the additional vegetables are cut into uniform sizes for even cooking.
Vegan Grilled Potatoes in Foil
- 1.5 lbs baby potatoes, cut in half
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or 3 cloves fresh minced garlic)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- seasoning salt & black pepper to taste (about ½ tsp of each)
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat around 375-400 degrees.
- Place baby potatoes in the middle of a large piece of aluminum foil. Lift all the edges up, creating a little container shape so that the melted butter won't run out.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted vegan butter, garlic, Italian spice, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. Pour evenly over the potatoes and stir gently.
- Seal the foil around the potatoes while still keeping the potatoes in a flat spread out position. (We don't want the potatoes stacking on top of one another).
- Place on the grill on direct heat, and cook for 20-25 mins, stirring the potatoes halfway. Serve, and enjoy!
Grilled Potatoes in Foil is a simple yet mouthwatering recipe that will take your barbecue gatherings to new heights. With tender potatoes infused with savory flavors and a delightful char from the grill, this side dish is sure to be a hit with your friends and family. Enjoy the deliciousness!
6 thoughts on “BBQ Grilled Potatoes in Foil”
These were amazing! Loved the crispy potatoes 🥔 the most! Simple and delicious 🤤
Hi Kat, thank you so much for the feedback so happy you loved this recipe!
We love this recipe. Such a nice easy way to prepare potatoes.
Hi Linda, thank you so much for your review so happy you found this easy to follow!
Easy to follow loved the flavor nice and simple 🥰
Hi Jessica, thank you for the feedback and so happy you loved the recipe and flavour!