Experience the burst of fresh flavors in this Vegan Potato Salad with Lemon and Herbs. Tender baby potatoes, vibrant herbs, and a zesty lemon dressing combine to create a harmonious and refreshing sensation. The secret lies in the homemade lemon vinaigrette, which perfectly complements the potatoes with its rich extra virgin olive oil, tangy lemon juice, and subtle sweetness from agave or honey. Whether enjoyed warm or chilled, this versatile dish is suitable for any occasion, bringing a delightful twist to traditional potato salad.
Ingredients & Substitutions
When it comes to the ingredients for this Vegan Potato Salad with Lemon and Herbs, simplicity is key. You’ll need baby potatoes, which provide a creamy texture and hold their shape beautifully.
As for the herbs, you can choose from a variety of options, such as parsley, dill, basil, cilantro, or even a combination for a burst of flavors. If you have a personal favorite, like dill, feel free to add more of it to suit your taste buds.
The dressing plays a crucial role and is easy to whip up. The base consists of extra virgin olive oil, providing a luscious and healthy element. Fresh lemon juice adds a tangy brightness, while lemon zest intensifies the citrus aroma. A clove of minced garlic infuses the dressing with a subtle kick, while a touch of agave or honey brings a delicate sweetness. Dijon mustard adds a hint of sharpness, and salt and pepper tie all the flavors together.
If you have any dietary restrictions or preferences, you can easily make substitutions. For instance, if you prefer a different oil, feel free to use your favorite instead of olive oil. Agave can be replaced with honey or maple syrup, and Dijon mustard can be substituted with whole grain mustard for added texture.
- Pot with a lid: A sturdy pot with a lid is needed for boiling the baby potatoes until they are tender. The lid helps to retain heat and cook the potatoes evenly.
- Colander or strainer: After boiling the potatoes, a colander or strainer is useful for draining them. It allows you to remove excess water and prevent the potatoes from becoming soggy.
- Sharp knife: A sharp knife is essential for cutting the cooked potatoes in half. It ensures clean and precise cuts, resulting in evenly sized potato pieces.
- Whisk: To prepare the lemon vinaigrette, a whisk is handy for thoroughly combining the ingredients. It helps to emulsify the olive oil and evenly distribute the flavors throughout the dressing.
- Serving bowl: A spacious serving bowl is needed to mix the potatoes, herbs, and dressing together. It provides enough room for tossing the ingredients gently and ensuring they are well coated.
- Storage container: If you plan to serve the potato salad later or have leftovers, a suitable storage container is necessary. It allows you to store the salad in the fridge while keeping it fresh and maintaining its flavors.
How to Make Vegan Potato Salad
To start, wash the baby potatoes thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris. In a pot with a lid, boil the potatoes until they are tender, usually taking about 10-15 minutes.
While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the lemon vinaigrette by whisking together olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest (optional), minced garlic, agave or honey, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them using a colander or strainer to remove excess water. Cut the cooked potatoes in half and place them in a serving bowl.
Immediately add the freshly made dressing, along with the chopped herbs and thinly sliced shallot to the bowl. Gently toss the ingredients together, ensuring that the potatoes are well coated with the dressing and herbs.
Serve the potato salad immediately for a warm and comforting option, or refrigerate it to enjoy it cold later.
Tips & Tricks
- Choose the right potatoes: Opt for baby potatoes as they are small and tender, making them ideal for this salad. Look for potatoes with smooth skin and avoid those with green spots or sprouts.
- Dress the potatoes while warm: For the best flavor absorption, dress the potatoes while they are still warm. This allows them to soak up the flavors of the dressing and herbs more effectively.
- Adjust the dressing to your preference: The lemon vinaigrette can be customized to suit your taste. If you prefer a tangier salad, add more lemon juice. For a milder flavor, reduce the amount of garlic or mustard. Adjust the ingredients to create a dressing that pleases your palate.
- Let it chill: If you prefer a cold potato salad, refrigerate it for at least an hour before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together and results in a refreshing and cooling dish.
- Make ahead: This vegan potato salad can be prepared in advance, making it a convenient option for gatherings or meal prepping. Simply store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and it will stay fresh for a day or two.
FAQ: Vegan Potato Salad with Lemon and Herbs
While baby potatoes are recommended for this recipe due to their tender texture and bite-sized pieces, you can use regular-sized potatoes. Just make sure to cut them into smaller, bite-sized chunks for a consistent salad.
Absolutely! The herbs listed in the recipe (parsley, dill, basil, cilantro) are suggestions, and you can mix and match or use your favorite herbs. Feel free to get creative and experiment with different herb combinations to suit your taste.
Yes, if you prefer a savory dressing without any sweetness, you can omit the agave or honey altogether. The dressing will still be flavorful with the combination of lemon juice, garlic, and Dijon mustard.
You can store the potato salad in the refrigerator for up to two days. Keep it in an airtight container to maintain its freshness. However, note that the flavors may intensify over time, especially the herbs and garlic.
Absolutely! This recipe is great for making ahead. You can prepare the salad a few hours or even a day in advance, and store it in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The flavors will continue to meld together, resulting in a delicious salad.
Yes, definitely! The potato salad can be enjoyed warm, right after mixing it with the dressing and herbs. It offers a comforting option that showcases the flavors of the fresh herbs and tangy dressing.
Absolutely! This recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled to accommodate larger gatherings. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time for the potatoes accordingly.
Vegan Potato Salad with Lemon and Herbs No Mayo
- 2 lbs baby potatoes
- ½ cup loosely packed tender herbs, chopped (Parsley, dill, basil, cilantro, or a combination. Dill is my favourite!)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Wash the potatoes, and boil them for about 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Make the lemon vinaigrette by whisking together olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, agave, dijon, salt and pepper .
- Cut the cooked potatoes in half, place them in a serving bowl and immediately add the dressing, fresh herbs, and shallot. (The potatoes absorb the dressing best when they are still warm.) Gently toss to combine. Serve immediately, or store in the fridge to serve as a cold potato salad later. Enjoy!
This Vegan Potato Salad with Lemon and Herbs is a vibrant and flavorful dish that will delight your taste buds. With its tender baby potatoes, fresh herbs, and zesty lemon dressing, every bite is a refreshing burst of flavors. Whether enjoyed warm or chilled, this versatile salad is perfect for any occasion, from picnics and potlucks to family dinners. So gather your ingredients, whip up the dressing, and let the aromas and colors come together in this herb-infused delight.