Deliciously Chewy and Indulgent Vegan Coconut Macaroons: These vegan coconut macaroons are the perfect treat for anyone looking for a delicious and healthy snack. Made with just four simple ingredients, these gluten-free macaroons are easy to make and packed with flavor. The addition of a chocolate drizzle takes these macaroons to the next level, making them the perfect indulgence for any vegan chocolate lover.
I’m sharing the recipe for a single batch but TRUST ME! You will want to at least double the recipe for this healthy vegan dessert. There was definitely a lot of debate and negotiation as to who got the last cookie from this batch. I could not believe this plant-based dessert was actually gluten-free and sweetened without sugar. The Vegan Coconut Macaroons are SO good and I can’t wait for you to try them!
Ingredients & Substitutions: What Is In Vegan Coconut Macaroons
The ingredients for vegan coconut macaroons are simple and easy to find at your local grocery store or health food store. You will need unsweetened shredded coconut, oat flour (or finely ground almond flour as a substitution), solid coconut oil, and pure maple syrup. These ingredients are all vegan-friendly and plant-based, making them a great choice for those with dietary restrictions or ethical concerns about animal products.
The secret ingredient to these Healthy Vegan Coconut Macaroons is the fine shreds of coconut, that add a delicate texture like a fluffy cloud. Each bite melts in your mouth like a dreamy chocolate-covered cloud. The only thing that could make these gluten-free vegan macaroons even more heavenly is a drizzle of rich, vegan chocolate on top.
And let’s talk about coconut, the star of this recipe. It’s like the cherry on top of an already delicious sundae. Not only does it add a subtle sweetness, but it’s also packed with health benefits. Coconut is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and is a great source of healthy fats.
If you want to add an extra touch of sweetness to your macaroons, you can also include dairy-free vegan chocolate chips to drizzle on top. This is a great way to add a decadent and indulgent flavor to your dessert without using any animal products. Just be sure to choose chocolate chips that are vegan-friendly and free from milk, butter, or other animal-derived ingredients.
Overall, the ingredients for vegan coconut macaroons are simple, wholesome, and delicious. They are the perfect dessert for anyone looking for a tasty and satisfying treat that is also vegan-friendly and free from animal products.
- High-powered blender or food processor: These tools are essential for creating the sticky consistency needed for the macaroons. If you don’t have a high-powered blender or food processor, you can try using a regular blender or mixer, but the consistency may not be the same.
- Small scoop: Using a small scoop makes it easier to form the mixture into small, uniform balls.
- Parchment paper: Lining your baking sheet with parchment paper will prevent the macaroons from sticking to the sheet.
How To Make This Vegan Coconut Macaroons Recipe
To make vegan coconut macaroons, you will need to preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then, add the unsweetened shredded coconut, oat flour (or finely ground almond flour), solid coconut oil, and pure maple syrup to a high-powered blender or food processor. If you like a little bit of salt, you can add a pinch to the mixture as well.
Blend the ingredients on high until they are well mixed and have a sticky consistency. This process may take a few minutes, and you may need to pause the blender and use a spatula to push the ingredients down.
Using a small scoop, form the mixture into small, firmly packed balls and place them on the lined baking sheet. You should be able to make about 12 cookies in total. You can shape the cookies into a cookie shape or leave them as balls, depending on your preference.
Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for about 12-16 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the tops are lightly browned. If you want to add a little bit of extra sweetness, you can melt some plant-based dark chocolate and drizzle it over the top of the macaroons.
Once the cookies are done baking, they will need to cool for about 30 minutes to an hour before they are ready to eat. You can serve them as is or with a cup of coffee or tea for a delicious and satisfying treat. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks For These Vegan Coconut Macaroons
- Use a small scoop to ensure that all the macaroons are the same size, which will help them cook evenly.
- The cookies just won’t turn out right and will be super flat if you use large shreds of coconut. Make sure to get the fine or small shredded coconut for the best result.
- Make sure to use solid coconut oil and not melted. Melted coconut oil will result in smaller macaroons.
- Make sure the mixture is packed tightly into the scoop to avoid any crumbling during baking.
- If the mixture is too dry, add a little bit of extra coconut oil or maple syrup until it reaches the desired consistency.
FAQ: Vegan Coconut Macaroons
These healthy vegan macaroons are best stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months. The chocolate drizzle may melt in the fridge but it will harden again once it cools. If you want to avoid this, you can drizzle the chocolate just before serving.
Yes, as long as you use oat flour or finely ground almond flour, they are gluten-free.
4 Ingredient Healthy Vegan Coconut Macaroons
- 1 ¼ cups Unsweetened shredded coconut (fine or small shreds not large)
- ¼ cup Oat flour (finely ground almond flour is a great substitution)
- 3 tbsp Solid coconut oil
- ¼ cup Pure maple syrup
- 3-4 tbsp Dairy-free vegan chocolate chips to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add coconut, oat flour, coconut oil, maple syrup and a pinch of salt to a high-powered blender or a food processor.
- Blend on high until it’s well mixed and has a sticky consistency. Pause and scrape down the sides with a spatula if needed to get them all combined.
- Use a small scoop to scoop out small little firmly packed balls onto the cookie sheet.
- This recipe should make about 12 cookies. I shaped mine into more of a cookie shape rather than a ball.
- Bake for about 12-16 minutes. The cookies are ready when the edges are golden brown and the tops are just lightly browned. Optional: Melt the plant-based dark chocolate and drizzle over top of the macaroons.
- For best results, allow the cookies to cool for 30 mins – 1 hour. Serve and enjoy!
These vegan coconut macaroons are a delicious and healthy dessert option for anyone who loves coconut and wants to avoid traditional sweets with processed sugar. With just a few simple ingredients and some helpful tools, you can create a batch of these tasty treats in no time. Whether you’re vegan or not, these macaroons are sure to be a hit with your taste buds!