Vitamin B6, also known as pyridoxine, is a crucial nutrient for a healthy immune system and the maintenance of brain function. Vegans, who don’t consume animal products, need to pay extra attention to ensure they get enough of this vitamin through plant-based foods. Here are some of the best vegan sources of vitamin B6 to add to your diet.
Top 10 Vegan Sources of Vitamin B6
This table provides a list of the top 10 vegan sources of Vitamin B6. Vitamin B6, also known as pyridoxine, is an essential nutrient that is involved in many bodily functions, including protein metabolism, neurotransmitter synthesis, and immune function. Vegans can sometimes have difficulty getting enough Vitamin B6 in their diets, as some of the best sources of this nutrient are animal products. However, there are still plenty of plant-based foods that are high in Vitamin B6, as shown in this table.
|Rank||Food||Serving Size||Vitamin B6 (mg)|
|8||Sunflower seeds||1 oz||0.4|
|9||Sweet potatoes||1 medium||0.4|
|10||Bell peppers (red or green)||1 medium||0.2|
Fortified Cereals and Grains
Fortified cereals and grains are a great source of vitamin B6 for vegans. Check the nutrition labels of cereals and grains to find out whether they have been fortified with B6.
Legumes and Beans
Legumes and beans are a great source of vitamin B6, particularly chickpeas, lentils, and soybeans. Add them to your soups, salads, and stews, or blend them into dips for a delicious and nutritious snack.
Nuts and Seeds
Nuts and seeds are a delicious and versatile source of vitamin B6. Almonds, pistachios, and sunflower seeds are particularly high in vitamin B6, so add them to your smoothies or snack on them throughout the day.
Fruits and Vegetables
Many fruits and vegetables contain vitamin B6, with bananas, potatoes, avocados, spinach, and tomatoes being particularly good sources. Make sure to include these in your daily meals and snacks to ensure you’re getting enough vitamin B6.
A well-planned vegan diet can provide all the essential nutrients, including vitamin B6. Adding these top vegan sources to your meals and snacks can help you meet your daily vitamin B6 requirements and boost your overall health.
Sources: Vegan Sources Of Vitamin B6
- Healthline – “10 Vegan Foods High in Vitamin B6” – https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vegan-vitamin-b6-foods
- The Spruce Eats – “Vitamin B6 in a Vegetarian Diet” – https://www.thespruceeats.com/vitamin-b6-in-a-vegetarian-diet-3378456
- Verywell Fit – “The Top 10 Foods High in Vitamin B6” – https://www.verywellfit.com/vitamin-b6-rich-foods-2507071
- Medical News Today – “What are the best food sources of vitamin B-6?” – https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/219662
- HealthAliciousNess – “Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin B6” – https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-vitamin-B6.php
- NutritionData – “Foods highest in Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine)” – https://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000102000000000000000-1.html