Vegan Baked Feta Pasta is a recent sensation in the food world, and it’s not hard to see why. This dish combines the creaminess of feta cheese with the tanginess of tomatoes and the chewiness of pasta. However, for those who follow a plant-based diet, this dish was not an option until a vegan version of it came into existence. This vegan baked feta is a quick and easy recipe that is sure to delight.
Ingredients & Substitutions For This Vegan Baked Feta Pasta
- Pasta: Any type of pasta would work for this recipe, but I recommend using a chickpea protein pasta for a healthier twist. Cook the pasta until it’s al dente and set it aside for later.
- Olive oil: Use a good quality olive oil for sautéing the cherry tomatoes and garlic. This will help enhance the flavors of the dish.
- Cherry tomatoes: These juicy little tomatoes burst in the oven and create a delicious sauce for the pasta. Choose ripe, sweet cherry tomatoes for the best flavor.
- Vegan feta: Look for a block of vegan feta at your local grocery store or make your own ahead of time. The vegan feta adds a salty and tangy flavor to the dish and makes it extra satisfying.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves are minced and added to the cherry tomatoes for a fragrant and flavorful base.
- Hot chilli flakes: Add as much or as little hot chilli flakes as you like to give the dish a bit of heat.
- Fresh basil leaves: A handful of fresh basil leaves are torn and sprinkled over the top of the pasta after it comes out of the oven. The basil adds a fresh and herby flavor to the dish.
- Salt and pepper: Season the dish to taste with salt and pepper for the perfect balance of flavors.
- Baking dish or cast iron skillet
- Mixing bowl
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Oven mitts
How to Make This Vegan Baked Feta Pasta Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Add olive oil to a baking dish or cast iron skillet and toss in the cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and mix until everything is coated evenly.
- Add the block of vegan feta in the middle of the dish and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil. Add more black pepper if you desire.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until the cherry tomatoes are soft and juicy, and the feta has slightly melted and turned golden brown.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the chickpea noodles according to the package instructions. Depending on the type of pasta you use, cooking time may vary.
- After the 30 minutes of baking have passed, increase the heat to 450°F (230°C) and continue baking for another 5 minutes. This will give the feta and cherry tomatoes a nice golden brown color.
- Remove the baking dish or cast iron skillet from the oven and sprinkle minced garlic and hot chili flakes on top of the cherry tomatoes and feta. The heat from the dish will cook the garlic and chili flakes.
- Add the cooked pasta to the dish and stir until everything is well combined. Finish off with torn fresh basil leaves, salt, pepper, and more hot chili flakes to taste.
- Serve and enjoy your delicious vegan baked feta pasta!
Note: You can also make this dish ahead of time and reheat it in the oven for a few minutes before serving.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks that can help you make the best vegan baked feta pasta possible:
- You can use any type of pasta you prefer, but chickpea protein pasta works well for a gluten-free and high protein option.
- Make sure to drizzle some olive oil on top of the feta before baking to prevent it from drying out.
- If you want a spicier version, add more hot chili flakes or even some chopped jalapeños.
- For added flavor, you can also add some sliced red onions or bell peppers to the dish before baking.
- To make your own vegan feta cheese, combine crumbled tofu, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and salt in a food processor until smooth.
FAQ: Vegan Baked Feta Pasta
Yes, you can use regular feta cheese if you’re not vegan. Keep in mind that it won’t be a vegan dish anymore.
While fresh basil adds a nice flavor and aroma to the dish, you can substitute with dried basil if fresh basil is not available. However, use it sparingly as dried herbs are more potent than fresh ones.
The heat level can be adjusted to your preference by adding more or less hot chili flakes. If you don’t like spicy food, you can skip the chili flakes altogether.
This recipe will last up to 3 days in an airtight container.
When you are ready to eat, you can reheat the pasta in the microwave or on the stovetop until it’s heated through. Keep in mind that, as with most pasta dishes, the pasta may absorb some of the sauce as it sits. So you may need to add a splash of broth or water to loosen it up when reheating.
Vegan Baked Feta Pasta
- 1 lb Pasta I use chickpea protein pasta but any pasta would work!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 block vegan feta about 8 oz I made a homemade one ahead of time and it was surprisingly good!
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- hot chilli flakes to taste
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400. Add olive oil to a baking dish or cast iron and toss with cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper until everything is coated.
- Add the feta in the middle and top with a little drizzle of olive oil plus more black pepper if you want. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. The chickpea noodles I got only take 4 mins to cook!
- After the 30 minutes has past, crank the heat up to 450 and bake for another 5 mins. The feta and cherry tomatoes should be a little browned.
- Remove the cast iron (or baking dish) from the oven and add garlic and hot chili flakes. The heat from the cast iron will cook those up real quick! Just stir for a minute or two.
- Add in your pasta and stir it up. Finish with fresh basil, and more salt, pepper and hot chili flakes if you want.
Vegan baked feta pasta is a delicious and satisfying meal that is perfect for any occasion. It’s quick and easy to make, bursting with flavor, and a great way to incorporate more plant-based meals into your diet. So go ahead and give this recipe a try and enjoy a tasty, healthy meal that’s sure to become a new favorite.