This Vegan Lemon Tahini Dressing is the perfect addition to any vegan salad, grain bowl, or dip for veggies. It’s also gluten-free and requires only a few simple ingredients. You won’t be disappointed! This dressing is so easy to make and comes together in less than 5 minutes. Give it a try, and you’ll see why it’s a staple in my kitchen.
What Exactly Is Tahini & How is it made?
Tahini, also known as sesame seed paste, is a staple in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. It’s made by grinding hulled sesame seeds into a smooth paste. The oil from the seeds naturally separates during the grinding process, so it’s important to give the tahini a good stir before using it to ensure an even consistency. The result is a rich, creamy, and nutty-flavored paste that adds depth and flavor to dressings, dips, and sauces.
Ingredients & Substitutions: What Is In Vegan Lemon Tahini Dressing
To make a delicious lemon tahini dressing, you’ll need several key ingredients. These include tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pure maple syrup, and water. Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds, and it provides a rich, nutty flavor and creamy texture to the dressing.
Lemon juice adds a bright and tangy taste to the dressing, as well as a boost of vitamin C and other nutrients. Garlic and salt provide a savory and umami flavor, while pure maple syrup adds a touch of sweetness and richness. Water is added to adjust the consistency of the dressing to your liking, depending on how thick or thin you prefer it. It’s important to use fresh lemon juice if possible, as it will provide the best flavor and nutritional value.
If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can use garlic powder as a substitute. When combined in the right proportions, these ingredients will create a delicious and nutritious dressing that you can enjoy on a variety of dishes.
To make the process of making lemon tahini dressing easier, there are a few helpful tools that you can use. These include:
- Mason jar: A mason jar is a convenient container for mixing and storing the dressing. You can simply add all the ingredients to the jar, screw on the lid, and shake it up to combine.
- Measuring spoons: Measuring spoons are helpful to ensure that you’re using the right amount of each ingredient. This is especially important for salt, as too much can easily ruin the flavor of the dressing.
- Garlic press: If you’re using fresh garlic, a garlic press can save time and make mincing the garlic easier.
- Whisk: If you don’t have a mason jar, a whisk can be used to mix the ingredients together in a bowl.
How To Make This Lemon Tahini Dressing Recipe
Making lemon tahini dressing is easy and quick. To start, add all the ingredients into a mason jar, making sure to leave out the water. Once everything is in, shake the jar well to combine all the ingredients. The tahini can be quite thick, so add water 1 tablespoon at a time to adjust the consistency to your liking. You’ll want it thick and creamy, but thin enough to pour over your salad or protein. Don’t worry if you’re not sure how much water to add; you can always adjust it as you go.
After you’ve adjusted the consistency, give the dressing a taste and adjust it to your preference. If you like it sweeter, add a little more maple syrup. Once you’ve got the taste just right, it’s time to serve. This dressing is perfect for salads or as a sauce or marinade for your favorite protein. It’s versatile and can be used in many different ways, so feel free to get creative!
Tips & Tricks
- Adjust the consistency to your preference: The thickness of tahini can vary, so it’s important to adjust the consistency of the dressing to your liking. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired thickness.
- Taste as you go: Taste the dressing as you make it and adjust it to your preference. If you like it sweeter, add more maple syrup. If you like it tangier, add more lemon juice.
- Store in an airtight container: Leftover dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
FAQ: Vegan Lemon Tahini Dressing
This Vegan Lemon Tahini Dressing can last up to 1 week in an airtight container, stored in the refrigerator. Give it a quick shake or stir before using it as the ingredients may separate over time.
If your dressing is too thick, you can add a splash of water or lemon juice to thin it out. If it’s too thin, you can add more tahini or a little bit more sweetener to thicken it up. It’s important to taste and adjust as you go to achieve the perfect balance of flavor and consistency for your taste buds!
You can use agave, organic sugar, coconut sugar, rice syrup, or your other favorite sweetener in this dressing. I prefer the taste of maple syrup, but that’s probably because I’m a Canadian from maple syrup country 🍁😉
Tahini is highly nutritious and a great source of protein, calcium, vitamin B, and E. It also contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds, and may offer anticancer effects. It is also believed to help protect liver and kidney function.
It can be used on various dishes including salads, Buddha bowls, and protein-packed meals like herb-crusted tofu steaks and falafel.
Creamy Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 5 tbsp tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice (fresh is best if you have it!)
- 1 clove garlic, minced. 1 tsp garlic powder will work as a substitute.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1-4 tbsp water to adjust consistency if needed.
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar and shake well to combine.
- Add water 1 tbsp at a time to adjust the consistency. The thickness of tahini can vary, so you'll need to adjust the dressing to your preferred thickness. It should be thick and creamy, but thin enough to pour over a salad.
- Taste the dressing and adjust it to your preference. If you like it a little sweeter, add a little more maple syrup.
- Serve on a salad or use it as a sauce or marinade on your favourite protein.
- Leftovers last in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. I love adding this on herb crusted tofu steaks, chickpea schwarma salad and more!
This Vegan Lemon Tahini Dressing is a must-try for anyone looking for a delicious and healthy addition to their vegan salads, grain bowls, or veggie dips. Not only is it vegan and gluten-free, but it’s also made with simple and nutritious ingredients that you can feel good about. With its tangy lemon flavor and creamy tahini texture, this dressing is sure to become a staple in your kitchen. Best of all, it only takes a few minutes to make, so you can enjoy it anytime without the hassle of a complicated recipe. So, give this Vegan Lemon Tahini Dressing a try and take your meals to the next level with its delicious taste and nutritional benefits.