This homemade Vegan Ricotta Cheese is full of plant-based ingredients, high in protein and the flavour is out of this world! Use this in ANY recipe that calls for ricotta for the perfect cheesy flavour. Ricotta is a soft cheese that is incredibly versatile. Whether you are vegan or eating dairy-free, chances are you miss recipes that include this creamy, delicious Italian cheese.
This vegan ricotta recipe is a tofu and cashew dream come true. The tofu provides a smooth, creamy texture while the cashews add a nutty richness that will have your taste buds singing. It’s the perfect plant-based substitute for traditional ricotta cheese, adding a touch of decadence to any dish. It’s a cheese lover’s paradise, without the dairy. Perfect for lasagnas, pizzas, pasta dishes, and even as a dip for crackers and veggies. Say goodbye to bland vegan cheese options, and hello to delicious, homemade vegan ricotta cheese.
Ingredients & Substitutions: What Is In The Vegan Ricotta Cheese Recipe
- Extra Firm Tofu: Tofu is made from soybeans and is a popular ingredient in many vegan and vegetarian dishes. It has a neutral flavor and a texture that can range from soft to firm, depending on the type of tofu. Extra firm tofu is ideal for this vegan ricotta recipe because it holds its shape well and is easy to blend with the other ingredients.
- Raw Unsalted Cashews: Cashews are a type of nut that is high in protein and healthy fats. They have a creamy texture and a mild, slightly sweet flavor. In this recipe, the cashews are soaked in water to soften them and make them easier to blend into a creamy consistency.
- Nutritional Yeast: Nutritional yeast is a type of deactivated yeast that is often used in vegan cheese recipes. It has a cheesy, nutty flavor and is rich in vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is used in this recipe to add a tangy flavor to the cheese. It also helps to thin out the mixture and make it easier to blend.
- Cold Water: Cold water is used to thin out the cheese mixture and help it blend into a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Salt: Salt is used in this recipe to enhance the flavor of the cheese and balance out the other ingredients.
- Italian Spice Blend: The Italian spice blend adds a savory and aromatic flavor to the cheese. It typically includes a combination of herbs such as oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary. The blend works well with the other ingredients to create delicious and flavorful vegan ricotta cheese.
Making vegan cashew ricotta cheese is a breeze, and with the right tools in your kitchen, it’s even easier!
Here are some helpful tools that will make your cooking experience smoother:
- High-powered blender or food processor – A high-powered blender or food processor is essential for creating a smooth and creamy texture. It will ensure that all of the ingredients are blended evenly, resulting in a velvety and spreadable cheese.
- Nut milk bag or cheesecloth – To make the cheese extra smooth, you may want to strain it through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth. This will help to remove any remaining lumps or chunks, resulting in a silky texture.
- Lemon juicer – Fresh lemon juice is an important ingredient in this recipe. To make juicing easier, you may want to invest in a lemon juicer. It will make extracting every last drop of juice a breeze.
- Measuring cups and spoons – Accurately measuring your ingredients is key to making a successful batch of cashew ricotta cheese. Having measuring cups and spoons on hand will make sure that your ratios are spot on.
- Airtight containers – Whether you’re serving the cheese as a dip or using it in a recipe, it’s important to store it in an airtight container. This will help to preserve the freshness and flavor of the cheese.
With these helpful tools at your disposal, you’ll be able to make vegan cashew ricotta cheese with ease and confidence.
How To Make This Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese Recipe
Get ready to experience the creamy deliciousness of homemade vegan cashew ricotta cheese! Making this recipe is quick and easy, requiring only a few simple steps.
First, soak your cashews by covering them in boiling water and allowing them to sit for 10 minutes. This will help to soften the cashews and make them easier to blend.
Once your cashews are soaked, it’s time to blend! Add all of your ingredients into a high powered food processor or blender. You want to make sure that everything is blended evenly, so be sure to scrape down the sides often.
Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy, with no lumps or chunks. The result should be a velvety and spreadable cheese that is sure to impress!
If you’re planning on using the cashew ricotta cheese as a dip, you may want to store it in an airtight container in the fridge for an hour. This will allow the cheese to stiffen up and make it easier to scoop with crackers or veggies.
If you’re using the cashew ricotta cheese in a recipe, it’s ready to use right away! Whether you’re making lasagna, stuffed shells, or pizza, this vegan cheese will add a deliciously creamy and cheesy flavor to any dish.
So, what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try and enjoy the delicious taste of homemade vegan cashew ricotta cheese!
Tips & Tricks For This Vegan Cashew Ricotta Recipe
- Soak your cashews: Soaking the cashews before blending them will help to soften them and make them easier to blend. To do this, simply cover the cashews in boiling water and let them sit for about 10 minutes before draining.
- Use a high-powered blender or food processor: To get a creamy and smooth texture, it’s essential to use a high-powered blender or food processor. This will ensure that all of the ingredients are blended evenly, resulting in a velvety and spreadable cheese.
- Add more water if needed: Depending on the consistency you want, you may need to add more water to the mixture. If it’s too thick, try adding a tablespoon of water at a time until you reach your desired texture.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste: The seasoning in this recipe can be adjusted to your liking. If you prefer a stronger Italian flavor, add more of the spice blend. If you like it a bit saltier, add more salt.
FAQ: Vegan Ricotta Cheese with Tofu & Cashew
While raw cashews are recommended for this recipe, you can use roasted cashews if you prefer. However, keep in mind that roasted cashews may give the cheese a slightly different flavor and texture.
The cheese can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If the texture becomes too firm, simply stir in a bit of water to loosen it up.
While a regular blender may work, it may not blend the ingredients as evenly as a high-powered blender or food processor. This could result in a slightly chunky texture.
Yes, you can adjust the amount of nutritional yeast to your liking. However, keep in mind that nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavor to the mixture, so adjusting the amount may affect the overall taste of the cheese.
Yes, you can use other herbs or spice blends to suit your taste preferences. Try experimenting with different herbs such as basil, oregano, or thyme for a different flavor.
Vegan Ricotta Cheese with Tofu & Cashew
- Start by soaking your cashews. Cover cashews in boiling water and allow to sit for 10 minutes before draining.
- Add all ingredients into a high powered food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides often to ensure the entire mixture is blended.
- If serving as a dip, store in an airtight container for an 1 to stiffen up the cheese. If using in a recipe, it's ready to use right away.
This vegan ricotta cheese recipe is a great alternative for those who are dairy-free or vegan. It is easy to make and can be used in a variety of recipes. The tofu and cashews provide a creamy texture and the nutritional yeast adds a nutty and cheesy flavor. The lemon provides a nice zing and the high-powered blender helps whip it to a smooth consistency. Give it a try and you’ll be surprised at how delicious it is. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week and enjoy it in your favorite dish. Enjoy!