Peanut Butter Chickpeas and Curry is a delicious and healthy dish that combines the richness of chickpeas with the creaminess of peanut butter and the aromatic spices of curry. In this article, we’ll explore the origins of this delectable dish, its nutritional benefits, and how to prepare it at home. Whether you’re a vegan or just looking for a tasty meatless meal, this recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
What is Peanut Butter Chickpeas and Curry?
Peanut Butter Chickpeas and Curry is a vegan and plant-based dish that incorporates the wholesome goodness of chickpeas, the creaminess of peanut butter, and a medley of aromatic spices. This fusion of flavors and textures makes it a unique and savory dish that’s easy to prepare.
This dish is not only a treat for your taste buds but also a nutritional powerhouse. Chickpeas are an excellent source of plant-based protein and dietary fiber. They are also rich in vitamins and minerals. Peanut butter adds a creamy texture and a dose of healthy fats, while the spices in the curry provide antioxidants and flavor. The addition of spinach contributes essential vitamins and minerals, making this dish a well-rounded meal.
Ingredients & Substitutions
When preparing Peanut Butter Chickpeas and Curry, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Crushed tomatoes
- Red onion, finely diced
- Grated ginger
- Cloves garlic, minced
- All-natural peanut butter
- Full-fat coconut milk
- Curry powder
- Garam masala
- Hot chili powder, salt, and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime to squeeze on top
To prepare this dish, you’ll need:
- A large pan
- A wooden spoon for stirring
- A can opener
- Chopping board and knife
How To Make This Recipe
In a pan on medium heat, add a little oil, and the diced onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
Add in garlic, ginger, and spices and continue stirring until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
Add in crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, chickpeas, and peanut butter. Stir and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
Add the spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until it wilts.
Top with a garnish of fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with rice or naan and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- Adjust the level of chili powder to suit your spice preference.
- You can use almond or cashew butter as a peanut butter alternative.
- Serve with brown rice or whole wheat naan for a complete meal.
FAQ: Peanut Butter Chickpea Curry
Yes, Peanut Butter Chickpeas and Curry is a vegan and plant-based dish.
Absolutely! Canned chickpeas are convenient and work well in this dish.
You can reduce the amount of chili powder to make it milder.
The dish is gluten-free, but be sure to check the labels of your ingredients for any hidden sources of gluten.
Peanut Butter Chickpeas and Curry can be prepared in advance and reheated when you’re ready to serve.
Peanut Butter Chickpea Curry
- 1 19oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 19oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups spinach
- 2 tbsp all natural peanut butter
- 1 19oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- hot chili powder, salt and pepper to taste
- fresh chopped cilantro
- juice of 1 lime to squeeze on top
- In a pan on medium heat, add a little oil, and the diced onion. Cook for 2-3 mins or until fragrant.
- Add in garlic, ginger, and spices and continue stirring until lightly toasted about 1 min.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, chickpeas and peanut butter. Stir and simmer for 5-6 mins. Add the spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until it wilts.
- Top with a garnish of fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lemon juice, serve with rice or naan and enjoy!
Peanut Butter Chickpeas and Curry is a delightful fusion of flavors that brings the best of chickpeas, peanut butter, and curry spices to your plate. It’s a healthy, vegan option that’s easy to prepare and bound to please your taste buds. Try this recipe and savor the unique combination of nuttiness and spice!