This chickpea salad is a healthy and refreshing dish that’s perfect for any occasion. Packed with protein, fiber, and healthy fats, this salad is both delicious and nutritious. With a combination of creamy avocado, tangy balsamic reduction, and crunchy chickpeas, it’s sure to become a favorite in your recipe collection. In this article, we’ll share the recipe for Chickpea Salad with Avocado and Balsamic along with tips and tricks for making it perfectly every time!
Ingredients and Substitutions For This Chickpea Salad
This chickpea salad with avocado and balsamic reduction is a fresh and flavorful combination of healthy ingredients. For this recipe, you’ll need ripe and creamy avocados, protein-rich chickpeas, tangy feta cheese, and zesty lemon juice. If you’re vegan or dairy-free, you can substitute the feta cheese with vegan cheese or leave it out altogether.
In addition to the avocado and chickpeas, the recipe calls for finely diced red onion, which adds a pleasant crunch and a pungent flavor to the salad. You can also use shallots or scallions as a substitute if you prefer. The recipe also includes a selection of fresh herbs, such as basil, parsley, or cilantro. If you don’t have these herbs on hand, you can substitute them with other fresh herbs like dill or mint.
To dress the salad, the recipe uses a simple mix of olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. You can also add other seasonings to the dressing such as paprika, cumin, or chili powder, depending on your preference. The salad is then topped off with a drizzle of sweet and tangy balsamic reduction. If preferred, you could try a lemon vinaigrette or honey mustard dressing instead.
- Mixing Bowl: A large mixing bowl is essential for combining all the ingredients together. Choose a bowl that is large enough to hold all the ingredients without overflowing.
- Cutting Board and Knife: You’ll need a sturdy cutting board and a sharp knife for dicing the avocado and red onion. Make sure to use a sharp knife to avoid squishing the avocado while cutting.
- Citrus Juicer: If you have a citrus juicer, it can be helpful for extracting the most juice from the lemon. If you don’t have a juicer, you can also use a fork to prick the lemon and then squeeze the juice out by hand.
- Serving Bowl and Tongs: Once the salad is mixed, it can be transferred to a serving bowl and served with tongs or a large spoon.
How to Make This Chickpea Salad With Avocado and Balsamic
This chickpea salad is a quick and easy recipe that involves just a few simple steps. First, prepare the salad Ingredients. Cube the avocados, rinse and drain the chickpeas, finely dice the red onion, and chop the fresh herbs. Mince the garlic and juice the lemon.
Next, combine the ingredients in a medium salad bowl. Add the avocado, chickpeas, red onion, fresh herbs, salt, pepper, olive oil, sumac, garlic, and lemon juice. Toss gently to combine all the ingredients.
Lastly, top the salad with crumbled feta and a generous drizzle of balsamic reduction.
After topping the salad, it’s ready to serve! Use tongs or a large spoon to transfer it to a serving bowl, and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- Be sure to use ripe avocados that are slightly soft to the touch. If they are too firm, they will be difficult to cube and won’t have as much flavor.
- It’s important to rinse and drain the chickpeas before adding them to the salad. This helps to remove any excess salt and enhances the texture of the chickpea salad.
- Finely dicing the red onion ensures that the flavor is evenly distributed throughout the salad.
- Use fresh herbs if possible. Fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, or cilantro add a lot of flavor to the salad. If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand, you can use dried herbs instead.
- Adjust the seasonings to your taste. The amount of salt, pepper, and balsamic reduction needed may vary based on personal preference. Taste the salad as you add the ingredients to make sure it’s seasoned to your liking.
- Feel free to customize this recipe with substitutions based on your dietary preferences or what you have on hand. For example, you can substitute the feta with a vegan cheese or omit it altogether.
FAQ: Chickpea Salad with Avocado and Balsamic
Yes, you can prepare the ingredients for the salad in advance and store them separately in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble and serve.
Yes, canned chickpeas work perfectly fine for this recipe. Just make sure to rinse and drain them well before using.
This salad is best when eaten fresh, but it can last in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Yes, feel free to add any other vegetables that you like, such as cherry tomatoes, cucumber, or bell peppers, to make this salad even more nutritious and colorful.
Chickpea Salad with Avocado and Balsamic
- 3 avocados, cubed
- 1 19oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup crumbled feta (I used voilife vegan feta)
- ½ lemon juiced (about 1 tbsp)
- ¼ cup finely died red onion
- 3 tbsp fresh herbs, chopped (basil, parsley, or cilantro)
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- balsamic reduction to drizzle
- 1 tsp sumac
- In a medium salad bowl, add avocado, chickpeas, onion, fresh herbs, salt, pepper, olive oil , sumac, garlic and lemon juice. Toss gently to combine.
- Top with crumbled feta and a generous drizzle of balsamic reduction. Serve and enjoy!
Chickpea Salad with Avocado and Balsamic is a healthy and delicious dish with its vibrant colors and fresh flavors. It’s a crowd-pleaser that’s easy to make and packed with nutrients. Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy lunch, a healthy side dish, or a tasty salad to bring to a potluck or party, this recipe has got you covered. By following the recipe and tips and tricks in this article, you’ll be able to create a mouthwatering chickpea salad that’s sure to impress. So go ahead and give it a try – your taste buds (and your body) will thank you!