These vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings are the perfect savory appetizer for your next game night or party! With the use of an air fryer, these cauliflower buffalo wings come out crispy and delicious, without all the added oil. The cauliflower florets are coated in a batter made from flour, spices, and non-dairy milk, then air-fried to perfection.
Topped with a tangy and spicy buffalo sauce, these vegan wings will be a hit at any gathering. Serve with a side of vegan ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping and watch them disappear before your eyes. These vegan air fryer buffalo cauliflower wings are a must-try for any plant-based foodie or anyone looking for a healthier alternative to traditional chicken wings.
Ingredients & Substitutions: What Is In Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
To make delicious and crispy vegan buffalo cauliflower wings, you will need the following ingredients:
- Cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized florets
- Soy milk (or other unsweetened, neutral plant milk)
- All-purpose flour (can be substituted for gluten-free flour)
- Panko bread crumbs
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Fresh ground black pepper
For the Buffalo Sauce, you’ll need:
- Buffalo sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot)
- Vegan butter
- Agave to drizzle on top
- Fresh parsley
All of these ingredients are vegan-friendly, making this recipe perfect for anyone following a plant-based diet.
To make your cooking process easier and more enjoyable, here are some helpful tools you can use when making air fryer vegan buffalo cauliflower wings:
- Air fryer: An air fryer is a great tool for cooking healthier versions of your favorite fried foods. It uses hot air to cook your food, giving it a crispy texture without the need for oil. This makes it perfect for making vegan buffalo cauliflower wings, as they come out crispy and delicious every time.
- Mixing bowl: A medium mixing bowl is essential for making the batter for the cauliflower wings. It allows you to mix together the flour, spices, plant milk, and olive oil until smooth, ensuring that the cauliflower florets are coated evenly.
- Whisk: A whisk is an important tool for making the batter smooth and free of lumps. It also helps to combine the plant milk and olive oil with the dry ingredients, creating a creamy and flavorful batter.
- Saucepan: You’ll need a small saucepan to melt the vegan butter and mix it with the buffalo sauce. This ensures that the sauce is smooth and well-combined, making it easier to toss the cauliflower florets with the sauce.
- Tongs: Tongs are useful for flipping the cauliflower florets in the air fryer basket, ensuring that they cook evenly on all sides. They also make it easier to transfer the cooked cauliflower to the mixing bowl for tossing with the buffalo sauce.
How To Make These Air Fryer Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
Making these delicious air fryer vegan buffalo cauliflower wings is easy and fun! Follow these simple instructions:
Wash the cauliflower and cut it into bite-sized florets. Remove the stems and set them aside for later use.
In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper.
Add the olive oil and plant milk to the mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth.
Add the cauliflower florets to the batter and gently mix until they are thoroughly coated. Then, add the panko bread crumbs and toss gently.
Set your air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit. Working in batches, place the cauliflower florets in the air fryer basket, leaving space between each piece. Cook for 5 minutes.
Flip the cauliflower halfway through cooking and cook for another 3-5 minutes until they are crispy and golden brown. Smaller florets will take less time to cook than larger ones.
While the cauliflower is cooking, melt the vegan butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the buffalo sauce and whisk well until combined. Once the cauliflower is done, transfer it to a mixing bowl and toss it with the buffalo sauce until coated.
Return the cauliflower to the air fryer basket and cook for another 2 minutes with the buffalo sauce on, until the sauce slightly caramelizes.
Drizzle with a little agave and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with vegan ranch or blue cheese dressing on the side, and enjoy your delicious, plant-based appetizer!
Why are my Buffalo Cauliflower Wings soggy?
- The cauliflower wasn’t properly dried before baking or frying. Make sure to wash the cauliflower and allow it enough time to dry before cooking it.
- Too much sauce was used. When adding the buffalo sauce, be mindful not to use too much as it can result in a soggy texture.
- The wings sat out for too long. Cauliflower wings are best served immediately after cooking. If they sit out for too long and begin to cool, it can alter the texture.
Tips & Tricks For These Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- Make sure the cauliflower florets are roughly the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. Leave enough space between each floret to allow the hot air to circulate and cook the cauliflower evenly.
- Shake the basket occasionally during cooking to ensure the wings cook evenly on all sides.
- Adjust the seasoning and hot sauce to suit your preferences. If you like your wings extra spicy, add more hot sauce, or adjust the amount of salt to your liking.
FAQ: Air Fryer Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the cauliflower for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown and crispy.
Making crispy cauliflower wings is all about the technique. First, make sure to use a high-heat cooking method such as baking or air frying. Second, use a high-heat oil such as avocado oil or coconut oil. Third, make sure to coat the cauliflower florets evenly and thoroughly with the batter or breading. Lastly, cook the cauliflower wings in small batches to avoid overcrowding the cooking surface and allow for proper air circulation.
Traditional buffalo sauce contains butter, which is not suitable for vegans. However, it is easy to make a vegan version by using vegan butter or other plant-based alternatives. One popular option for vegans is Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo sauce, which is accidentally vegan and offers a great taste. Just keep in mind that not all buffalo sauces are vegan-friendly, so be sure to check the ingredient list before using it in your recipe.
If you prefer less heat in your buffalo cauliflower wings, you can reduce the amount of hot sauce used in the recipe. You can also opt for a milder hot sauce or add more vegan butter or oil to the sauce to balance out the spiciness. Another option is to serve the wings with a cooling dip, such as vegan blue cheese or ranch dressing, to help counteract the heat.
Vegan Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- 1 cup buffalo sauce (I used Frank's)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp agave to drizzle on top
- fresh parsley
- Wash the cauliflower and cut into bite-sized florets. Remove the stems. (they can be frozen and saved for soup!)
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, paprika, pepper and garlic powder.
- Next, add in the olive oil and plant milk and whisk together until smooth.
- Add the cauliflower florets into the batter and gently mix together until they are thoroughly coated. Add the panko bread crumbs and toss gently.
- Working in batches, place the cauliflower in the air fryer leaving space between each peice. Cook at 390 degrees for 5 minutes. Flip the cauliflower halfway and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Smaller pieces will take less time than larger florets. (See the notes below for baking in the oven instead of using an air fryer.)
- While the cauliflower is in the air fryer, prepare the buffalo sauce. Melt the vegan butter and whisk well with the frank's buffalo sauce.
- Toss the cauliflower in a mixing bowl with the buffalo sauce.
- Add cauliflower back into the air fryer for 2 minutes with the sauce on so it slightly caramelizes. Drizzle with a little agave, serve with vegan ranch or bleu cheese dressing and enjoy!
In conclusion, vegan buffalo cauliflower wings are a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional chicken wings. They are easy to make, customizable to your desired level of spiciness, and perfect for game nights or parties. With the right preparation and seasoning, they can be crispy and flavorful, avoiding the soggy texture. Additionally, the buffalo sauce can be easily made vegan by substituting in vegan butter. These vegan air fryer vegan cauliflower wings are sure to be a hit with guests and a great way to get in some veggies while enjoying a tasty finger-licking sauce. Don’t forget to try out our Tofu buffalo tenders for an even more unique and delicious experience!