Get ready to elevate your vegan cooking game with this delicious and easy recipe for Vegan Smoked Carrot Salmon. Carrot smoked salmon is the perfect replacement in any dish where you would find the original.
Unleash the chef within and elevate your vegan culinary skills with this mouthwatering recipe for Vegan Smoked Carrot Salmon. Impress your taste buds and guests with the perfect plant-based substitution for traditional salmon dishes.
Ingredients & Substitutions: What Is In Smoked Salmon Carrots Recipe?
The ingredients used in this vegan carrot “salmon” recipe are simple yet flavorful. Making it a great alternative to traditional smoked salmon.
To start, you will need 5-6 large carrots cut into thin ribbons. This provides the base for the dish, offering a satisfying crunch that mimics the texture of traditional salmon.
You’ll also need some extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper to season the carrots and give them some depth of flavor. These basic ingredients are crucial to achieving the desired taste and texture.
The real magic, however, lies in the marinade. It consists of a combination of soy sauce or tamari. Which adds saltiness and umami flavors, 2 finely diced nori snack sheets for a subtle fishy taste, and freshly squeezed lemon juice, which provides a hint of acidity to balance out the richness of the marinade.
Liquid smoke is another key ingredient. Which gives the carrots a smoky flavor that’s reminiscent of traditional smoked salmon. A dash of garlic powder and smoked paprika add depth of flavor, while extra virgin olive oil and pure maple syrup create a sweet and savory balance.
All of these ingredients work together to create a marinade that perfectly complements the roasted carrots. Transforming them into a delicious and healthy vegan alternative to smoked salmon.
here are a few tools that can come in handy when making this delicious carrot “salmon” dish. Here are some helpful tools you may want to have on hand:
- Mandoline Slicer – A mandoline slicer is an essential tool for creating the thin, long carrot ribbons needed for this recipe. This tool makes it easy to slice the carrots evenly and quickly.
- Vegetable Peeler – If you don’t have a mandoline slicer, a vegetable peeler can also work well to create thin carrot ribbons.
- Baking Dish – A baking dish is needed to bake the carrot ribbons until they are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Chopping Board and Knife – You will need to chop the nori sheets into small bits to add to the marinade. A good quality chopping board and a sharp knife will make this task easier and safer.
- Mixing Bowl and Spoon – A mixing bowl and spoon are needed to combine the marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Airtight Container – Once you’ve added the marinade to the baked carrots, you will need an airtight container to let them marinate. This will ensure the flavors infuse into the carrots and create the perfect “salmon” flavor.
Having these tools on hand will make the preparation of this dish much easier and more enjoyable. Don’t hesitate to experiment and make this dish your own with your own personal touches and adaptations.
How To Make This Plant-Based Smoked “Salmon” Carrots Recipe
Preparing this delicious carrot “salmon” dish is simple and straightforward. Here are the steps you need to follow:
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, using a mandoline slicer or a vegetable peeler, cut your carrots into long thin ribbons. Place the carrot ribbons into a baking dish and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, and mix well.
Bake the carrots for 25 minutes or until they are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork. While the carrots are baking, it’s time to prepare the marinade.
To make the marinade, finely chop the nori sheets into small bits and add them into a bowl with the rest of the marinade ingredients. Mix well to combine and set aside.
Once the carrots are done baking, remove them from the oven and add the marinade. Mix well to combine and allow the carrots to marinate for at least 1 hour. For the best results, marinating the carrots overnight is even better!
Finally, serve your delicious carrot “salmon” anywhere you would enjoy traditional smoked salmon. This dish is perfect on a bagel with some cream cheese or as a topping for a fresh salad. You can also get creative and try it in other ways!
This recipe is perfect for those who are looking for a healthy, flavorful, and vegan alternative to traditional smoked salmon. Try it out and enjoy the satisfying crunch and delicious flavors of this unique dish.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Vegan Smoked Carrot Salmon:
- Make sure to use large, thick carrots for this recipe. The thinner the slices, the easier they will be to marinate and the more they will resemble traditional smoked salmon.
- Be sure to marinate the carrots for at least one hour, but ideally 24 hours. This will allow the flavors to fully penetrate the carrots and give them the most authentic smoked salmon taste.
- Don’t skimp on the liquid smoke. This ingredient is essential for giving the carrots that smoky flavor that makes this recipe so delicious.
- Experiment with different marinade ingredients to find your perfect flavor combination. Add more or less certain ingredients to suit your taste preferences.
- Once your smoked carrot salmon is ready, be sure to store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last for up to a week.
- Try using your vegan smoked carrot salmon in different dishes such as sushi, pizzas, pasta, crostini, or cracker with cream cheese, and salads for a variety of flavors and textures.
- Lastly, don’t be afraid to get creative with your toppings! The possibilities are endless, so have fun and experiment with different flavor combinations. Whether you prefer a traditional lox bagel or a sushi roll, your vegan smoked carrot salmon will take your dish to the next level.
FAQ: Vegan Smoked Carrot Salmon
You can use some fresh herbs such as dill, parsley, or chives to add a burst of freshness to this delectable dish.
While liquid smoke is the key ingredient in giving the “salmon” flavor to the dish, you can try experimenting with other seasonings to achieve a similar taste. Some suggestions include smoked sea salt or smoked paprika.
While carrots work best for this recipe due to their texture and ability to hold the marinade, you can certainly try using other vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, or even mushrooms.
This dish can be served in a variety of ways, such as on vegan bagel with cream cheese, as a topping for a salad, or simply as a snack on its own. Get creative and enjoy!
Vegan Smoked Carrot Salmon
- 5-6 large carrots cut into ribbons
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 nori snack sheets, finely diced
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 dash garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a mandoline slicer, or a vegetable peeler, cut your carrots into long thin ribbons. Place the carrot ribbons into a baking dish and add 1 tbsp of olive oil, a little salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Bake the carrots for 25 minutes or until they are tender and can be pierced with a fork.
- While the carrots are baking, make the marinade.
- To make the marinade, finely chop the nori sheets into small bits and add into a bowl with the rest of the marinade ingredients. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- Remove baked carrots from the oven and add the lox marinade. Mix well to combine and allow the carrots to marinate for at least 1 hour. (Marinating overnight is even better!)
- Serve anywhere you would enjoy smoked salmon and enjoy! This is perfect on a carrot lox bagel.
- crostini or cracker with cream cheese
- lox bagel
In conclusion, vegan smoked carrot salmon is a delicious and versatile plant-based alternative to traditional smoked salmon. With its smoky, savory flavor and tender texture, it’s sure to impress even the most skeptical of eaters. By following our recipe and tips, you can easily make your own smoked carrot salmon at home and enjoy it in a variety of dishes. Whether you’re a seasoned vegan or just looking to incorporate more plant-based options into your diet, this recipe is a must-try. So, fire up your oven and get ready to reel in a new favorite dish with vegan smoked carrot salmon!