Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with this delicious and easy-to-make Crunchy Asian Coleslaw Salad. This Asian-inspired recipe is not only healthy and colorful but also a perfect snack or side dish. Whether you’re looking for a light lunch or a side dish to complement your main course, this vegan Asian coleslaw salad is sure to please. It’s easy to make and packed with flavor!
What is Crunchy Asian Coleslaw Salad?
Crunchy Asian Coleslaw Salad is a fresh and vibrant salad that is perfect for any occasion. It is a vegan salad that combines a variety of fresh and crunchy vegetables with a zesty dressing made from rice vinegar, soy or tamari sauce, ginger, lime juice, and garlic. The salad is topped with toasted sesame seeds, Thai basil, and hot chilies or chili oil for added flavor and texture. This salad is a great way to add some healthy greens to your diet while enjoying a delicious and satisfying meal.
Ingredients & Substitutions For This Vegan Coleslaw Asian Salad
To create the perfect flavor profile, you will need a range of ingredients, each with a unique taste and texture. Here is a list of ingredients that you will need to make this delicious vegan salad:
- Ginger: 1-inch piece of ginger, minced
- Garlic: 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- Sesame Seeds: ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- Soy Sauce or Tamari: ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
- Rice Vinegar: 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- Lime Juice: juice of 1 lime
- Cabbage: 2 ½ cups chopped cabbage
- Carrots: 3 large carrots cut into matchsticks
- Green Onion: 1 green onion, chopped
- Thai Basil: ¼ cup Thai basil, chopped (important to note that this is Thai basil)
- Chili: hot chilies or chili oil to taste
Each of these ingredients brings a unique flavor to the dish, from the boldness of the soy sauce to the fresh zestiness of the lime juice.
- Mixing bowls
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Measuring cups and spoons
How to Make This Crunchy Asian Coleslaw Salad
Here’s a step-by-step guide to making this delicious vegan salad:
- Whisk the Dressing: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, soy or tamari sauce, minced ginger, lime juice, and minced garlic. Ensure that all the ingredients are well combined and set aside.
- Prepare the Veggies: In a large mixing bowl, add the chopped cabbage, matchstick-cut carrots, chopped green onion, and Thai basil. Toss everything together until the veggies are evenly distributed.
- Add the Sesame Seeds: Once the veggies are well mixed, add in the toasted sesame seeds and mix again.
- Pour in the Dressing: Pour the dressing over the veggies and sesame seeds and toss everything together. Make sure that the dressing is evenly distributed throughout the salad.
- Add Cucumber: To add some extra freshness, consider adding a sliced cucumber to the salad.
- Serve and Enjoy: Once everything is mixed together, the salad is ready to serve. This Crunchy Asian Coleslaw Salad is perfect as a side dish or a main course, and it’s a great option for a quick and healthy meal.
How To Make Vietnamese Pickled Carrots
I have attached a link to my Vietnamese Quick and Easy Pickled Carrots recipe here! Quick and easy to make and are a great addition to this recipe and other various vegan recipes.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks that can help you make the best vegan Crunchy Asian Coleslaw Salad:
- For a more authentic taste, use Thai basil instead of regular basil.
- Toasting the sesame seeds enhances their nutty flavor and aroma. To toast them, simply place them in a dry skillet over medium heat and stir frequently until they turn golden brown.
- If you want to make this salad ahead of time, keep the dressing and veggies separate until ready to serve.
- Adjust the amount of chili oil or hot chilies to your desired level of spiciness.
- This salad tastes best when served immediately, as the veggies may wilt if left out for too long.
FAQ: Crunchy Asian Coleslaw Salad
Yes, this salad can be made gluten-free by using tamari sauce instead of soy sauce.
Yes, regular cabbage can be used instead of purple or green cabbage.
Yes, you can prepare the veggies and dressing ahead of time, but it’s best to mix them together just before serving to prevent the veggies from getting soggy.
Crunchy Asian Coleslaw Salad
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 lime juice of 1 lime
- 2 ½ cups chopped cabbage
- 3 large carrots cut into matchsticks
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup Thai basil, chopped up important this is Thai basil
- hot chilies or chili oil to taste
- Whisk up the vinegar, soy or tamari sauce, ginger, lime juice, and garlic together.
- Now that the dressing is ready you can add in the rest of the veggies and the sesame seeds. Purple cabbage or green cabbage will both taste great. I used my cabbage from a bag of pre-chopped coleslaw that has both red and green cabbage to save some time. 🥒
- Add a cucumber too for some extra freshness. Thai basil has a distinct taste so I’d highly recommend it if you can find it. If not, regular basil will work too!
Whether you’re making this salad for a family dinner or a backyard BBQ, this Crunchy Asian Coleslaw Salad is sure to be a hit. The combination of fresh veggies, zesty dressing, and toasted sesame seeds makes for a flavor explosion in every bite. Don’t hesitate to try this recipe out for yourself!