The Best Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta Bake Recipe: Impress your friends and family with this delicious and easy vegan pasta bake recipe. Made with sun-dried tomatoes, this dish packs a punch of flavor in every bite.
The best part is, it only takes 5 minutes to prep! Say goodbye to boring vegan mac n’ cheese and hello to this gourmet meal that will have everyone asking for seconds. Perfect for a dinner party or a weeknight dinner, this dish is sure to become a staple in your recipe collection.
Ingredients & Substitutions: What Is In A Sun-Dried Tomato Vegan Pasta Bake Recipe
To make this delicious vegan pasta bake, you will need penne or rigatoni pasta, canned chopped tomatoes (fire-roasted if you can find them), tomato paste, chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil, kale or spinach, minced garlic, Italian spice blend, hot chili flakes (optional), nutritional yeast, shredded vegan cheese, pure maple syrup (optional), and boiling water.
For toppings, you can use vegan parmesan to sprinkle over the top of the pasta bake, as well as fresh basil for added flavor and color. These ingredients come together to create a savory, creamy, and satisfying dish that is perfect for a cozy vegan dinner at home.
- Large baking dish: A large baking dish is essential for this recipe. Make sure it’s big enough to hold all the ingredients and that it’s oven-safe.
- Tin foil: You’ll need tin foil to cover the baking dish while it’s cooking. This helps to trap in the heat and cook the pasta evenly.
- Cutting board and knife: You’ll need to chop the kale/spinach, garlic, and sundried tomatoes, so a cutting board and knife are necessary.
- Measuring cups and spoons: This recipe requires specific measurements, so having measuring cups and spoons on hand will ensure that you get the right amount of each ingredient.
How To Make This Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta Bake
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Begin by chopping your spinach or kale. If using kale, you may want to massage it lightly with some olive oil to reduce its bitterness.
Mince your garlic and chop your sun-dried tomatoes if necessary.
Add all the ingredients into a baking dish and give them a good stir. The pasta should be just barely covered in the liquid mixture. If necessary, add a touch more boiling water, but be careful not to add too much as this can make the dish watery.
Cover the baking dish with tinfoil and place it in the oven.
After 25-30 minutes, check to make sure the top of the pasta has cooked. If not, give it a good stir and return it to the oven for another 5 minutes without the tinfoil.
Taste the pasta to make sure it’s cooked to your liking. Be careful not to burn your mouth!
Once the pasta is fully cooked, it’s ready to serve with your favorite toppings. And the best part? You heard it right, just throw all the ingredients into a dish, bake, and serve. SOOO EASY!
With just a few simple steps, you can have a delicious, vegan pasta bake that is sure to impress. This recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights when you don’t have much time to cook, but still, want a hearty and flavorful meal.
Tips & Tricks For This Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta Bake Recipe
- Add more liquid as needed: If you find that the pasta isn’t fully covered in boiling water, you can add a bit more. Just be careful not to add too much as it can make the dish watery.
- Use fire-roasted tomatoes: If you can find them, use fire-roasted canned tomatoes instead of regular canned tomatoes. They add a delicious smoky flavor to the dish.
- Massage kale with oil: If using kale, massaging it with a bit of olive oil can help to reduce its bitterness and make it more tender.
- Don’t overcook the pasta: Be careful not to overcook the pasta as it can become mushy. Test it frequently to ensure that it’s cooked to your liking.
FAQ: Sun-Dried Tomato Vegan Pasta Bake
Up to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container. I have a baking dish that comes with a lid, making this even easier!
No, I do not reccomend freezing this recipe. Although it will last up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Absolutely! Just use gluten-free pasta and make sure to check that the other ingredients used are gluten-free as well. This can easily be adapted for those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
Yes, you can use a different type of pasta if you prefer. Penne or rigatoni work well in this recipe, but you could also use fusilli or farfalle.
Easy One Dish Sun-Dried Tomato Vegan Pasta Bake
- 400 grams penne or rigatoni pasta
- 1 14 oz can chopped tomatoes (Optional: fire roasted if you can find them)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup chopped sundried tomatoes in oil
- 3 cups chopped kale or spinach
- 3 large cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp italian spice blend
- 1 tbsp hot chili flakes (optional)
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3 cups boiling water
- vegan parmesan to sprinkle
- fresh basil
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Chop the spinach or kale. If using kale, lightly massage with a little olive oil to reduce the bitterness.
- Mince the garlic, and if your sundried tomatoes didn't come pre-chopped, cut them into smaller pieces.
- Add all the ingredients into your baking dish, and give them a good stir. If the pasta isn't fully covered in boiling water you can add a touch more. The pasta should be just barely covered in the liquid mixture. Be careful not to add to much.
- Cover the baking dish with tinfoil, and bake for 25 or 30 minutes. Check to make sure the top of the pasta has cooked. If not, give it a good stir and throw back in the oven for another 5 minutes without tinfoil. If you NEED to add a little more boiling water you can, but be careful, the dish can turn out watery if you add too much.
- Once the pasta has cooked, serve and enjoy with your favourite toppings!
This one dish sun-dried tomato vegan pasta bake recipe is a perfect addition to any vegan or plant-based meal plan. It is easy to make, requires minimal preparation, and is a delicious and nutritious meal that will leave you feeling satisfied. The combination of pasta, tomatoes, spices, and vegetables creates a dish that is both flavorful and hearty. Whether you are cooking for yourself, your family, or a group of friends, this pasta bake is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So go ahead, give it a try, and enjoy a tasty and wholesome meal that is both vegan-friendly and delicious.
What Are Sun-Dried Tomatoes?
The word ‘sun-dried’ comes from the Italian word ‘sudare’ which means ‘to sweat’. This refers to the process of drying out tomatoes by placing them in direct sunlight. Sun-dried tomatoes are a culinary delight, bursting with flavor and nutrition. The process of creating these tasty treats involves sweating out the moisture from ripe tomatoes under the warm rays of the sun. This not only concentrates the tomato’s natural sugars. But it also preserves its nutrients and vitamins, creating a tangy and delicious ingredient. Transform your dishes with the unique and versatile flavor of sun-dried tomatoes. And it’s not just tomatoes that can be sun-dried. Experiment with a variety of fruits and vegetables using this age-old technique to elevate your cooking.
How to Make Sun-Dried Tomatoes at Home?
You can make your own sun-dried tomatoes at home by slicing ripe tomatoes and placing them on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and herbs, and place them in a warm, sunny spot for several days. Tomatoes should be dried to a leathery texture. This recipe for vegan sun-dried tomato pasta uses sun-dried tomatoes for added flavor and nutrition. Give it a try, and you’ll be sure to impress your friends and family with this delicious and easy vegan dish.