Indulge in the creamy, comforting goodness of this vegan corn chowder. A hearty blend of sweet corn and savory spices, this one-pot meal comes together in under 30 minutes, making it the perfect solution for busy weeknight dinners. Perfect for those chilly days, this vegan version of a classic comfort food will leave you feeling satisfied and cozy without the use of dairy.
Ingredients & Substitutions: What Is In A Vegan Corn Chowder
- 1 tbsp olive oil: We’ll start by sautéing some onions, garlic, and red bell pepper in this healthy and flavorful oil.
- 1 onion, finely diced: The base of our soup, these onions add a sweet and savory flavor to the chowder.
- 3 cloves minced garlic: No soup is complete without garlic! This adds a punch of flavor and a subtle aroma.
- ½ tsp smoked paprika: This ingredient brings a smoky and rich flavor to the chowder, enhancing the overall taste.
- ½ cup nutritional yeast: A vegan alternative to cheese, this ingredient adds a cheesy flavor and creamy texture to the soup.
- 4 medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes, cubed (I leave the peels on, but they can be peeled if you prefer): Potatoes are a staple in chowders, and they add a heartiness and creaminess to the soup.
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced: Adding some color and crunch, this bell pepper adds a slightly sweet and tangy flavor to the chowder.
- 4 cups frozen or fresh corn: The star of the show, the corn adds a sweet and savory taste and a pleasing texture to the soup.
- 5 cups “chickenless” broth or vegetable broth: A flavorful base for the soup, this ingredient brings all the flavors together.
- 1 cup raw cashews: Cashews are the secret ingredient to making this soup creamy and luscious without any dairy. They also add a nutty flavor and a healthy dose of protein.
- Salt and pepper to taste: As with any recipe, seasoning is key. Salt and pepper help to bring out the flavors of the other ingredients and make the soup taste absolutely delicious!
With these wholesome and tasty ingredients, you’re sure to make a bowl of vegan corn chowder that is both healthy and flavorful. So, gather your ingredients, put on your apron, and let’s get cooking!
Here are some helpful tools and equipment that can help you make this delicious vegan soup with ease:
- Large Pot: You’ll need a large pot to cook the soup in. A 6-8 quart pot should be sufficient.
- Blender: A high-speed blender is essential for creating the creamy texture of this chowder. It will help blend the cashews and soup together to make a smooth and creamy base.
- Cutting Board and Knife: You’ll need a sharp knife and cutting board to chop the onion, garlic, potatoes, and red bell pepper.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: Accurate measurements are key to a successful recipe. So make sure you have measuring cups and spoons on hand.
- Immersion Blender (Optional): If you don’t have a high-speed blender. An immersion blender can be used to blend the cashews and soup together.
How To Make This Vegan Corn Chowder Soup Recipe
Cover the raw cashews with boiling water in a bowl, and set them aside to soak for about 15-20 minutes.
In a large pot on medium heat, add the olive oil, and onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions become translucent.
Add the diced red bell pepper and minced garlic to the pot and cook for another minute until fragrant.
Pour in the vegetable broth, corn, potatoes, and smoked paprika. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
While the soup is simmering, strain the water off the soaked cashews, and add the cashews, nutritional yeast, and 2 cups of the cooked soup to a blender. Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Pour the creamy mixture back into the pot of soup and stir until everything is well combined.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and give the soup a final stir. Serve hot and enjoy!
This vegan corn chowder is a hearty and flavorful soup that is perfect for any occasion. The combination of the sweet corn, smoky paprika, and creamy cashew mixture creates a deliciously savory and satisfying soup that will warm you up on even the coldest of days. Give this recipe a try, and you won’t be disappointed!
Secrets To Getting This Vegan Soup Deliciously Creamy & Thick:
This vegan corn chowder is packed with flavor and nutrition, thanks to its key ingredients. The creamy texture comes from soaked and blended cashews, which add a rich and velvety touch. A secret ingredient in this recipe is blending 2 cups of the soup, which helps thicken it naturally without the need for flour or cornstarch. The starch in potatoes also aids in thickening the soup. Enjoy this comforting and delicious meal on a cold day, without any guilt or compromise on taste or nutrition
- Use soaked and blended cashews to add a beautiful creaminess. Blended cashews are a wonderful substitute for heavy cream in dairy-free recipes like this one. They have a mild flavor, and a creamy texture. Soaking the cashews for at least 10 minutes in boiling water helps significantly with the texture. If they aren’t soaked, the texture can be grainy. Using a high-powered blender also helps make the cashews as smooth and creamy as possible.
- Blend 2 cups of the soup to thicken without the use of flour or cornstarch. Blending soup is a great way to help thicken it without flour. The starch in potatoes helps thicken the soup as well.
FAQ: Vegan Corn Chowder Soup Recipe
Yes, by using alternative thickeners such as potatoes or corn starch, this recipe ensures that it can be enjoyed by those with gluten sensitivities. So, whether you’re looking for a comforting bowl of soup on a cold day or simply need a gluten-free option, this corn chowder recipe is the perfect choice.
This vegan corn chowder is made with a delicious blend of ingredients such as fresh corn, potatoes, red bell pepper, and onions. Instead of traditional heavy cream and butter, this recipe utilizes plant-based alternatives to achieve that creamy texture we all love.
Corn chowder is a comforting, hearty soup that pairs well with a variety of sides. For a classic pairing, try serving it with a vegan grilled cheese sandwich or a vegan smoked sausage. A warm, crusty bread or fresh dinner rolls also complement the creamy texture and subtle smoke flavor of the chowder. To balance out the richness of the soup, consider serving it with a light and refreshing vegan Caesar salad on the side.
Yes, you can use fresh corn instead of frozen corn. Simply remove the kernels from the cob and use them in the recipe.
Yes, you can freeze this soup for up to 2-3 months. However, be aware that the texture may change slightly upon thawing.
Corn Chowder Vegan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 4 medium sized yukon gold potatoes, cubed (I leave the peels on, but they can be peeled if you prefer)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups frozen or fresh corn
- 5 cups "chickenless" broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup raw cashews
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cover cashews in boiling water and set aside to soak.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add the olive oil, and onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the red bell pepper, and garlic and cook for another minute.
- Next, pour in the vegetable broth, corn, potatoes, and smoked paprika. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Strain water off the cashews. Add the cashews, nutritional yeast and 2 cups of the cooked soup to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add the creamy mixture back into your soup and stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, serve and enjoy!
In conclusion, this vegan corn chowder is the perfect comfort food for any cold day. It’s creamy, comforting, and easy to make in less than 30 minutes. Made with a blend of vegetables and cashews, this gluten-free chowder is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional corn chowder. Not only is it a great option for those who follow a vegan or gluten-free diet, but it’s also a crowd-pleaser for everyone. Serve it with a side of vegan grilled cheese, vegan smoked sausage, crusty bread, or a vegan Caesar salad for a complete meal. This recipe is sure to become a staple in your recipe collection.